Sugarpuffs Outlast S’miors at Powderpuff Football Game

Senior-led team comes away with a narrow 41-40 victory in the annual charity event

On the evening of June 3rd, Glendale High School hosted its 5th Annual Powderpuff Football Game at Moyse Stadium. This event was in partnership with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which helps grant wishes for children with illnesses. Admission to the game was five dollars, and all of the proceeds helped support the citizens of Artsakh. 

This year’s Powderpuff Football Game was played by the senior and freshman Black Sugarpuffs, coached by Mr. Jon Keefer, and the junior and sophomore Pink S’miors, coached by Mr. Hector Martinez. Ultimately, the Sugarpuffs won the game, with a final score of 41-40. 

During the game, the GHS Make-A-Wish Club sold snacks and drinks for a dollar each. Many of our Nitro staff also showed their support, including 2022 Teacher of the Year winner, Chef Monica Cuevas. The GHS marching band also made its return to Moyse Stadium, performing many of their regular hits, including “Iron Man” and “Glendale Boys”. Nitro drum major, Carmelo Xavier Geron, opened the event with a trumpet solo rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”.

Both teams started off really strong, as they were tied 7-7 early in the first quarter, after the Sugarpuffs scored their first touchdown eight minutes into the quarter, followed by the S’miors answering with a touchdown of their own less than a minute later. 

The Sugarpuffs remained in the lead throughout, and senior Talia Beuzet scored the team’s final decisive touchdown just a few seconds before the end of the fourth quarter. The S’mores added another touchdown on the final play of the game, but they came up one-point short in the end.

Throughout the game, our Sugarpuffs and S’miors cheerleaders were loud and proud. During halftime, the all-male squad performed the “Cha Cha Slide”, and even danced along with the children of staff members. S’miors cheerleader, Joni Diaz, expressed that he had fun “cheering for my girl friends”, and he was glad that he “made some friends” among the other male cheerleaders. 

Our Nitro fans did not disappoint, because the energy was so hyped throughout the night. Make-A-Wish Club president and Sugarpuffs team member, Sarine Kaloghlian, pointed out that she “felt nervous after [their] opponents started to catch up” during the game, but “winning the game was honestly the best feeling in the world.”

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this event, especially to our wonderful football coaches, Mr. Keefer and Mr. Martinez, who made sure that their teams were ready to fight for victory. Thanks also to Coach Jacob Ochoa, who volunteered his time to officiate the game. 

We hope that everyone enjoyed the event, and we will see you all again at the next Powderpuff Football Game, which is scheduled for May 26, 2023. Until next year, Nitros!

(Photography provided by Lauren Claire Avelino and Monica Cuevas.)

Lauren Claire Avelino
Lauren Claire Avelino, Editor-in-Chief
Lauren Claire is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Best Buddies Club and is a Nitro Crew leader. She enjoys reading and writing, listening to music, and spending time with her family.