Thank You, Journalism

Reflecting on my experiences as an Explosion staff member!

Two years have gone by, and my time here as an Explosion writer is over. It has been a wonderful experience writing for the website and getting to know my fellow classmates, and even Mr. Livingston. 

I joined Journalism at the beginning of my junior year, because I needed another elective in my schedule. At first, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to continue on in this class, because I was intimidated by how many articles we were told to write throughout the year. But after I wrote my first review article, for Smile by Katy Perry, my teachers and friends were telling me how well I wrote about it. From there on, I felt confident in my ability to keep writing for Explosion. 

Over time, I have found fondness in spotlighting students and staff members on campus. It has allowed me to help bring people together and to feature important events that are happening around campus. 

I love our “Always A Nitro” series. I was stoked to see that many teachers on our campus actually graduated from here. Getting to know them, and the paths that they chose to take to become teachers, has sparked my interest in going into this field in the future. 

Covering the Homecoming Game will always be one of my favorite articles, because this was the first homecoming game that I had ever attended. Seeing Nitro students’ faces light up when our football team beat Hoover was definitely the highlight of the night. Writing about our Nitro basketball games was also something that I enjoyed, because I collaborated with Edgar Torabyan, and we changed up our writing styles a bit to cover those games. 

As for being the Editor-in-Chief for Explosion, I have enjoyed taking on this role and helping Mr. Livingston publish articles on the website. Having a leadership position like this allowed me to look at our staff members’ different writing styles, and it even inspired me to improve on my own writing skills. 

The future of Explosion

It’s amazing to see how diverse our Explosion staff has been this year. Students should definitely join Journalism, because it gives them a chance to expand their horizons in high school, and also improve their writing skills. You don’t have to be a perfect writer to be in this class, because Mr. Livingston will help you along the way. With every article that you write, there is always something new to learn. 

Finally, I would like to thank Mr. Livingston for allowing me to be a part of the Explosion staff these past two years. He has put countless effort into renovating the class, and I’m glad that I was able to help him along the way. I will miss the memories that we all shared in this class, but I can’t wait to hear how much Explosion will continue to evolve in the upcoming years.

Lauren Claire Avelino
Lauren Claire Avelino, Editor-in-Chief
Lauren Claire is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Best Buddies Club and is a Nitro Crew leader. She enjoys reading and writing, listening to music, and spending time with her family.