Introducing Your 2022 PNMA Finalists!

Here are the finalist and semifinalists for this year’s Pat Navolanic Memorial Award

The Pat Navolanic Memorial Award is the most prestigious honor that can be bestowed upon a Glendale High School senior. Applicants must have a 3.5 GPA, leadership experience, 30 hours of community service, a varsity letter in one sport or competitive team, and participation in student activities.

The PNMA is sponsored by the Glendale High School chapter of the National Honor Society, whose advisor is Ms. Holly Ciotti.

This year there were seven eligible applicants for the PNMA. Selection Day was held in-person on the afternoon of April 8, and over 70 GHS club presidents, team captains and ASB officers were part of the selection team.

Here are your four PNMA Finalists:

Emilio Dulay

Emilio is a captain of the boys varsity lacrosse team, the founder and president of GAME Club, a member of NHS and CSF, and an assistant coach for the Blasters Lacrosse Program. He is a volunteer at the Pasadena Humane Society, the GCC Mobile Food Bank and the Ascencia Guest Chef Program.

Sarine Kaloghlian

Sarine is a captain of the girls varsity basketball team, the president of Make-A-Wish Club, the ASB Vice President, a member of NHS and CSF, and a cabinet member of GAME Club and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She is a volunteer for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Homenetmen.

Leona Khodabakhshi

Leona is a captain of the girls varsity lacrosse team, where she holds the school record for most goals scored in a single game. She is the president of the Book Club, the ASB Director of Fundraisers, a member of CSF, and a cabinet member for Red Cross Club, National Honor Society, and Future Doctors of America. Leona is also a volunteer at the American Red Cross and Kids Lacrosse.

Aleek Tekehyan

Aleek is a captain of the girls varsity water polo team, the founder and president of Mental Health Awareness Club, the ASB and Senior Class Secretary, and a cabinet member for the Economics Club. She is a volunteer at the Glendale Public Library and the JDRF One Walk. She also offered her help on Dr. Armond Aghakhanian’s re-election campaign.

Here are your three PNMA Semi-Finalists:

George Jacob

George is a member of the varsity soccer team, an ASB Commissioner, a member of CSF and NHS, and a part of both the Senior Class Council and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He has volunteered for the L.A. Cancer Challenge, Ronald McDonald House, and Good Samaritan 365.

Rita Malallah

Rita is a member of the girls varsity basketball team, the ASB Director of Finance, the president of the Global Mindset Group, a member of CSF and NHS, and a cabinet member for MESA Club, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and PLAN Club. Rita has volunteered at Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters, the American Medical Student Association, Human Good, and PALS. She has also served as a math tutor at Roosevelt Middle School.

Angela Markarian

Angela is a captain of the varsity swim team and a member of CSF and NHS. She is a volunteer at Glendale Memorial Hospital, and she has served many hours for the GHS boys water polo team.

The winner of the 2022 PNMA will be announced during a live-streaming assembly on May 27. More details will be coming soon.

Congratulations to all seven of these amazing seniors!