Arthur Lazaryan Is Keeping It Cool in the Pool

Senior captain brings his best effort for the GHS water polo team
Arthur Lazaryan and his teammates pose at the Glendale Aquatic Center

Arthur Lazaryan is a senior at Glendale High School. He is the captain of the water polo team, and he has been at GHS all four years. Arthur’s favorite hobbies are hanging out with friends and playing RC cars. For him being the captain of his team doesn’t change anything, but it feels good to play with his teammates. 

Arthur started playing water polo four years ago, outside of the school. Then, he joined the GHS water polo team as a freshman, and he then started joining other water polo club teams as well.  The sport interested him because he likes swimming and he found a more exciting way of competing in the pool.

Arthur’s proudest accomplishment as captain is the tradition of winning for our program. The team has won a lot of games this year, and he and the team feel good after each victory that they have won. Arthur became a captain, because he does a great job of leading. During the practices the team starts off with swimming, then they practice shooting and eventually start playing. 

During their team matches, the players always go with the intention of winning. They had a very successful season, making it to the second round of the 2021 CIF Playoffs, which Arthur hopes will carry on into next season. For Arthur, it feels great to be a Nitro athlete and to have the Glendale community on his back. Besides competing, the GHS water polo team members hang out together, and they often go out and eat. 

The challenges that the team has faced include staying eye-to-eye in a game and putting their egos aside. Arthur’s favorite part of being on the team is the social aspect and the interesting things that happen outside of water polo. Overall it’s a lot of fun being a part of the team. 

The difficult part of being in the team is the hours that they put in. The team has to stay at GHS until seven o’clock at night. Arthur said that this team will benefit GHS students by bringing a good name to the school. He said that “if you like to win, then join the team.”

Arthur feels like the future of this team is bright and they have good young players in the team. If you are interested in joining next year’s water polo team, please contact Coach Vardanian at [email protected]!

Linet Miankai, Staff Writer
Linet is a senior in Glendale High School. She is kinda boring (she is not) and she is not in any club or sport (BOO). Netflix, Disney+ , and her playlist hate her, because she is either watching movies or listening to music all day. You need to really know her to see her crazy side. She sometimes might be a weirdo but go off, I guess. People say she is popular at school, but if you ask her she will say that she is just well-known. Also, people know her as the weird-last-name-girl-that-nobody-can-pronounce.