FDA President Anahit Hakobyan Has the Best Medicine for GHS

Anahit Hakobyan was born and raised in Glendale. She is currently the president of Future Doctors of America (FDA), and she is a member of the varsity tennis team. She is constantly working out to be in shape when Glendale sports start competing again. She also enjoys playing piano as her side hobby, and she has been a part of the Glendale Unified School District since elementary school.

Anahit started joining clubs starting freshman year, but without knowing much about them, she joined ten clubs and understood shortly afterwards that it was a bit too much for her. She had a very generous personality, and the feeling that she wanted to help other people made her choose many clubs that did exactly that. A few of them included the Make-A-Wish Foundation, UNICEF, and her Class Council.

Starting her sophomore year, Anahit cut the number of clubs she attended from ten to five, and one club in particular that she liked more than the others was FDA. When she saw that the seniors, who were running the club, had to leave, she asked them if she could become the club president. This led her to managing a GHS club for the first time.

At the moment, the whole idea of the FDA is to show people what careers are available in the medical field, from heart surgery to psychiatry. The club helps kids to narrow down the path that they want to pursue. Occasionally, FDA members work to help hospitals, and an example of this is sending custom-made Halloween cards to kids in medical facilities. If you do want to go into the medical field, it is a great club to join.

At the beginning of the school year, Anahit had already laid out her plans for FDA, but because of covid-19, she had to scrap them all and come up with something new. The new goal is to bring students together, to make the club feel a bit less about just becoming a doctor, but she has worked to create a safe space where members can discuss what they want. 

Slowly afterwards, Anahit and her cabinet made a presentation showing what each of the career paths meant, and what they were doing in that field.

Anahit feels that the best part of FDA is the cabinet, because she has a community that also wants to help each other out. Even though she has the title of president, she wants other people to be part of the club to make the club members feel like everyone has a role to play.

Anahit hopes that in future there will be other students that will come up to her and ask to take over the club. She would appreciate the fact that there are students who love the club, and that they will go on to continue the legacy of FDA.

If you are interested in joining Future Doctors of America, please contact club advisor, Ms. Talin Arakelian, at [email protected].

Maxim Arutunian
Maxim Arutunian, Staff Writer
Maxim is a senior at Glendale High School. Currently he is a leader on the GHS track & field team, and he helps the newbies to get comfortable in the sport. His favorite hobby is to play video games, which are a big part of who he is.