Carmelo Geron Plays the Three of Clubs

You should seriously Tri-M out!
Carmelo (fourth from left) poses with his fellow Tri-M Honor Society inductees.

Carmelo Xavier Geron is a senior at Glendale High School, and he was born in the Philippines. He is the president of the Esports Club, the MESA Club, and the Tri-M Honor Society Club on campus. 

Outside of school, Carmelo likes to volunteer around the community. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, he was involved in the American Red Cross: Sound the Alarm program, where he got to “educate other people about natural disaster safety and first aid training.” During his free time, Carmelo also enjoys playing music with his friends. 

The Tri-M Music Honors Society is the newest club that Carmelo formed this year, and he expressed that it is “the NHS for music people.” Like the National Honor Society, this club has an application process, and they are looking for students who are musically inclined. 

During club meetings, Tri-M aims to complete service projects, such as having performances and making donations. Carmelo claims that students who join this club will “improve their musicianship”, because they’ll be surrounded by a group of people who have the same interests as them. He also implied that students can add this club to their college applications.

Carmelo explained that the Esports Club is a competitive gaming club, where students can compete against other people across the country. Some of the games that they are allowed to play at school include Minecraft, sports games, and League of Legends. During gaming tournaments, students will compete in groups and if they win, they will be able to earn scholarship money for college. 

Right now, Carmelo said that the cabinet members are finishing up an Esports Lab in the 4000 building. The lab will consist of computers, which they built during last year’s Development Day, LED lights, and a small hangout area. Not only do the cabinet members want the lab to be a place for gaming, but they also want it to be “a place to do homework and relax.”

The Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) Club, is a program where students can “learn about engineering concepts and how you can apply them in the real world.” Club members can also participate in MESA Day competitions. Last year, MESA club member, Cassidy Azores, won first place in the MESA Day 2021 regional competition.

Carmelo also explained that the club is trying to “immerse people in STEM and give them a pathway to college.” Last year during distance learning, club members were sent home a MESA kit, which allowed them to explore how to make structures using popsicle sticks. This year, the club is still trying to incorporate after school activities that involve engineering.

Clearly, Carmelo is really passionate about all his different clubs, and he hopes that they can continue to bring more opportunities for students in the future. If you’d like to know more about them, check out our virtual Club Rush

Carmelo’s involvement in school doesn’t stop here. Make sure to come back tomorrow and read about his participation in our music programs and as the marching band drum major. 

Lauren Claire Avelino
Lauren Claire Avelino, Editor-in-Chief
Lauren Claire is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Best Buddies Club and is a Nitro Crew leader. She enjoys reading and writing, listening to music, and spending time with her family.