• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

2024 Lancaster Prize Winner Announced!

Congratulations also to our Finalists and Semi-Finalists!
Lancaster Prize Finalists: Dashiell Takeuchi, Lenyn Murcia and Alexis Cabral

The Lancaster Prize was founded in 2021 to recognize excellence in the field of school journalism for seniors at Glendale High School. It was named in honor of Mr. Patrick Lancaster, the legendary teacher, coach and athletic director, who retired from GHS in 2020 and had been the Explosion advisor at our school since 1993.

Seniors who have written for our Explosion website submitted up to three articles for consideration for this year’s award. Their submissions fell under four categories: Features, Opinion, Reviews, and Spotlight.

A panel of GHS teachers then read these submissions, and they ranked them based on the quality of their writing, the clarity of their reporting, and a list of other criteria.

Ultimately, there was a finalist, and at least two semi-finalists, chosen for each category. Then our teacher panelists, along with our entire Explosion staff, read and ranked the four finalists, leaving us with our winner for the 4th Annual Lancaster Prize.

Here are the results:

2024 Lancaster Prize Winner

Alexis Cabral

“A Day Without a Phone”

2024 Lancaster Prize Finalists

Dashiell Takeuchi

“A Physics Classroom Full of Fake Corpses”

Lenyn Murcia

“Review: Sonic the Hedgehog 2″

Lenyn Murcia

“NFTs Are Terrible”

Lancaster Prize Finalists and Semi-Finalists: Lenyn Murcia, Dashiell Takeuchi, Tomas Morales Valles, Alex De La Garza and Alexis Cabral (not pictured: Daniel Petrossian and Anahit Sargsyan)

2024 Lancaster Prize Semi-Finalists

Features

Anahit Sargsyan

“Armenia Mourns Victims of Warehouse Explosion”

Dashiell Takeuchi

“A Superbloom of Black Mustard”

Opinion

Anahit Sargsyan

“Armenian Lives and Land Taken”

Alexis Cabral

“Vans vs. Converse”

Reviews

Daniel Petrossian

“Review: Andor”

Alex De La Garza

“Review: City of God”

Daniel Petrossian

“Review: God of War Ragnarok”

Daniel Petrossian

“Review: The Mandalorian ‘Chapters 21, 22, 23 and 24′”

Spotlight

Tomas Morales Valles

“Dyno Puts the BOOM Back into GHS”

Tomas Morales Valles

“Emma Remley Is Molding Young Minds!”

Congratulations to all of our finalists and semi-finalists. We hope that future writers for our news website are inspired by your achievements.

Thank you to our panel of GHS teachers who read and ranked our submissions: Kristina Carbajal, Holly Ciotti, Shannon Clark-Reed, Joseph Benkovich, Jessica De La O, Holly Donohue, Peter Gebeshian, Lala Gevorkian, Lisa Keefer, Cheryce Kurtz, Amy Mkrtchian, Chris O’Malley, Greta Sukazian, and Michael Watter. 

Thank you to the members of our 2023-24 Explosion staff, who continue to impress me with the quality of the work they produce every day. I have learned more from them than they could possibly have learned from me.

And thank you to Patrick Lancaster, for his continued friendship, support and guidance throughout the years.

Previous Lancaster Prize Winners

2021

Rafyeal Hovhannisyan 

In honor of his indelible contribution to the Explosion website during the COVID-19 pandemic

2022

Angela Ter-Martirosyan

Don’t Look Up

2023

Kristina Kugaevskaya

“Let’s Stop Resisting a Rest”

Jon Livingston
Jon Livingston, Advisor
Mr. Livingston is the Explosion advisor at Glendale High School. He is also the ASB advisor and the advisor for Stylus, the GHS yearbook. He is currently in his 24th year of teaching, and he enjoys spending time with his family, reading, watching movies, cheering on the UCLA football team and playing disc golf (poorly).