Sonic the Hedgehog 2

The follow up to the movie from 2020 is tons of fun.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the second movie adaptation of the video game franchise of the same name. As the title suggests, it is a sequel to the first Sonic the Hedgehog movie that was released in 2020.

With Ben Schwartz as the voice of Sonic, and the iconic actor Jim Carrey as the antagonist Dr. Robotnik (or Eggman), it was financed by Paramount Pictures Studios and directed by Jeff Fowler, who also directed the previous Sonic movie. You can currently only watch Sonic The Hedgehog 2 in theaters, but it is expected to be available to stream on Paramount+ at a later date. If you would like a short spoiler-free review, skip to the last two paragraphs!

This film picks up less than a year after the previous movie, following Dr. Robotnik’s defeat and banishment to the Mushroom Planet. Sonic now lives in hiding in Green Hills, Montana with the town sheriff Tom Wachoski (James Marsden) and his wife Maddie (Tika Sumpter), as they have promised the US government to keep Sonic’s existence a secret. On the Mushroom Planet, Robotnik swears to enact his revenge on Sonic and meets Knuckles.

Back on Earth, Tails makes his first appearance in the film and sets off to find Sonic and warn him of an incoming threat. Tom and Maddie go to Hawaii, completely free of charge, as they are transported there using one of Sonic’s gold rings for the wedding of Maddie’s sister, Rachel (Natasha Rothwell). Sonic is left alone to housesit while they’re gone. However, prior to their departure, Sonic hands them a spare ring, so that they can go back home whenever they please.

Robotnik uses a gold ring to return to Earth along with Knuckles, and they find Sonic at the house. Sonic and Knuckles clash, and Knuckles speaks of a large power known as the Master Emerald, which was stolen from the Echidnas by the Owl Warriors. The Echidnas are the tribe that raised Knuckles as a child, while Sonic was raised by an Owl named Longclaw.

The way Knuckles is portrayed as a villain in this movie alongside Robotnik is a dynamic that many can appreciate, especially Sonic fans. It is directly reminiscent of his portrayal in the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 video game, released for the Sega Genesis in 1994. The actor Idris Elba, voices him perfectly and is great in this role.

Eventually, Tails sweeps in and saves Sonic from this clash, as he explains that he’s been following and admiring Sonic for years and feels the need to warn him of Robotnik’s return. They race across town to find a map, and a hologram of a message left by Longclaw appears when they open it. 

The Owl explains how to find the Master Emerald, and how her kind have been the guardians of the emerald for many thousands of years. Meanwhile, Robotnik and Knuckles are headed to Mean Bean Coffee Shop, where Robotnik’s assistant Agent Stone (Lee Majdoub) has been awaiting his return since the first movie.

Tails is endearingly portrayed in this movie as well, sticking well to the source material, just like Knuckles. He’s shown to have a small backpack filled with gadgets he’s made, and overall he is just a lovable, well-intentioned nerd that can sometimes be a little clumsy. The dynamic that Sonic and Tails share grows throughout the movie as they become closer. Colleen O’Shaughnessey is the perfect voice for Tails, and she has actually been voicing this character in Sonic cartoons and games since 2014.

The map for the Master Emerald is revealed to be located in Siberia, so Sonic and Tails head there and eventually find it. While they search for it, a lot of the gags aren’t very entertaining or funny, and they really throw this section a bit off pace. Since this is a family movie, and one made for a Sonic fanbase, this section seems to cater more towards children and wastes too much time. 

Dr. Robotnik and Knuckles soon find our two heroes, and they injure Tails as they flee an avalanche. In a rush of panic, Sonic calls Tom and tells him to use the gold ring to teleport them both to Hawaii so that they will avoid getting crushed. They unfortunately crash the wedding upon their entrance, but the whole ceremony is soon revealed to be a set up, and FBI agents crash in to arrest Sonic.

Sonic and Tails are imprisoned in cages by the government, but Tails’ backpack has been left back at the wedding. Rachel steals a few gadgets from the backpack and uses them to slash through the FBI agents and free them. 

Right as they are freed, Robotnik and Knuckles find the location of the Master Emerald, which coincidentally is in an underground temple off the coast of Hawaii. The pacing around this section of the movie is a bit strange, and it feels like a new thing occurs every other second. Viewers may be afraid to take their eyes off the screen without missing something important.

After progressing through a deadly maze inside the temple, Robotnik and Knuckles get their hands on the Master Emerald. The dynamic between Robotnik and Knuckles is finally tested, as Robotnik betrays Knuckles and leaves him to drown as the temple collapses. Sonic rescues Knuckles, and what was once a rivalry becomes a friendship; Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles finally become a trio.

With the power of the Master Emerald, Robotnik powers up a massive robot and the climactic final battle of the movie commences back at Green Hills. The movie ends as our three allies eventually destroy the robot and retrieve the Master Emerald. 

Using the power of the Emerald, Sonic transforms himself into Super Sonic, a callback to his form in the classic Sonic games. Fans and family audiences alike will definitely be pleased with this, as the final fight is super entertaining and leaves you wanting more.

Robotnik is shown to have passed away, but his ultimate fate is unclear. Sonic and his friends now act as the new protectors of the Master Emerald, and the post-credits scene is amazing, and I definitely will not spoil it here.

Overall, this movie is definitely worth watching, whether you’re a veteran Sonic fan or just looking to have some fun with your family. You will enjoy this movie, even if you have no knowledge of the first movie, as most of what happened in the previous film is quickly recapped in various ways. The pacing of the sequel can be a bit off-putting at times, with the movie speeding up in some sections while feeling too slow at others. 

However, regardless of these small issues, this movie is still great and has exceeded the standard set by the first one. The post-credits scene implies there will be a third movie, so catch up by watching the first Sonic movie on Paramount+ and watch Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in theaters now!

Lenyn Murcia
Lenyn Murcia, Staff Writer
Lenyn is a sophomore at Glendale High School. He is a member of the GHS eSports Club. He enjoys writing fictional stories, as well as playing video games on his PC.