The Mandalorian “Chapters 21, 22, 23 and 24”

Season 3 comes to an end!

I previously wrote a review of “Chapters 19 and 20” of The Mandalorian, a show that is streaming now on Disney+ and stars Pedro Pascal. This series continues to entertain Star Wars fans, as its third season comes to an amazing close.

The fifth episode of Season 3, “Chapter 21: The Pirate”, starts off with an invasion of the city of Nevaro by space pirates. The pirate ship starts its bombardment of the city after failed negotiations, and it leaves the city in ruins. Din and Bo-Katan arrive with their fleet of Mandalorians and join the battle. 

This scene turns out to be a pretty cool battle sequence between the pirate starships and Din’s N-1 Starfighter. Eventually, the Mandalorians end up blowing up the pirate ship and saving the city. They are rewarded with a home on Nevaro and are welcomed to stay as long as they like. 

This episode ends with a really good cliffhanger. As a rebellion X-wing approaches a destroyed imperial transport ship that is floating in space, the pilot sends a probe to scan it and finds out that the ship was transporting Moff Gideon

The probe sends back traces of a beskar alloy. This leads the pilot to believe that Mandalorians did this, because beskar is what their armor and weapons are made of. This episode is really exciting to watch, and it sets the scene for what’s to come towards the end of the season

“Chapter 22: Guns for Hire” is more of a filler episode that helps to set up the events of the season finale. The episode begins with Din and Bo-Katan flying down to a new planet where the Mandalorian fleet is stationed. However, they are sent automatically to the nearby dome city of Sandari. We then meet two new characters that surprised me and other audience members. 

We are introduced to two characters played by Jack Black and Lizzo, who are the king and queen of the city. Din and Bo-Katan are tasked with stopping the droid problem that the city is going through, as droids are malfunctioning, destroying property and hurting people.

Din and Bo-Katan go on a cool little adventure through the city and solve a fun mystery. They discover that the city’s droids have been reprogrammed by another new character named Commissioner Helgait, played by legendary actor Christopher Lloyd, who you might know as Doc Brown from the Back to the Future movies. 

This episode ends with Din and Bo-Katan finally meeting with the Mandalorians, and their current leader challenges Bo-Katan to combat for the right to lead the group. She defeats him, and Din gives her the DarkSaber. She becomes the rightful ruler of Mandalore and has leadership over this new Mandlaorian army. 

This episode is great in many ways, although most of it is filler. The humor in Jack Black’s character, as well as seeing Christopher Lloyd in the Star Wars universe, is still amazing!

The second-to-last episode, “Chapter 23: The Spies”, starts off with Moff Gideon’s reappearance in the series, as he talks with a council of leftover imperials and high-ranking individuals. We are then brought back to Nevaro, where Grogu is given a mech suit to wear that has been made out of the body of IG-11. The Mandalorian fleet prepares to fly back to Mandalore and retake it as their permanent home.

When they arrive on Mandalore, they are reunited with other citizens who have survived there all these years after the destruction of the planet. These survivors take the group underground in search of the great forge. 

Not long after they travel underground, the team is suddenly attacked by imperials, as troopers with jetpacks, and pure beskar armor, attack them. The Mandalorians fight back with all their power. The troopers start to retreat, and the Mandalorians follow to finish them off. But little do they know that they are being led into a trap. 

Din is suddenly locked out, as a door behind him separates him from the other Mandalorians. Din fights with all he has left, as the others try to break open the blast door with all their fire power. 

However, it’s all no use, and Din is captured and confronted by Moff Gideon, who shows up in one of the coolest Mandalorian armors I have ever seen. He is wearing an all black suit made out of beskar, with spikes on the top of his helmet, making for a really cool-looking outfit that is reminiscent of Darth Maul

The episode ends with the doors opening, and the Mandalorians defend themselves against a barrage of firepower. Bo-Katan quickly cuts open a hole so that she and the Mandalorians can retreat to safety. All of them get out safely, but Paz Vizsla stays behind and sacrifices himself so that his friends have enough time to escape.

This episode is an incredible one, and it really shows true character development for both Paz and Bo-Katan. Paz is shown as a brave and fearless soldier, who is willing to sacrifice his life for a greater cause. Bo-Katan proves herself to be a great leader, as she protects and saves her people.

The season finale, “Chapter 24: The Return”, starts where the last episode left off. Din escapes captivity, as he fights off the two troopers escorting him. He then fights his way through a hallway scene that is arguably the coolest scene featuring Din fighting alone. 

Din eventually finds a hallway of bacta tanks that have clones of Moff Gideon inside of them! Clearly, he has been using cloning technology to make better versions of himself, who all possess the ability to use The Force!

The Mandalorians intercept a huge number of imperial troopers, as a fight sequence in the sky begins. The Mandalorians start fighting the troopers in the sky by using their jetpacks to their advantage. 

Meanwhile, Din and Moff Gideon get into a one-on-one fight that shows some pretty cool choreography and cinematography. As the fight goes on, it is obvious  that Din is no match for Moff Gideon and his new armor. 

Bo-Katan sees this and flies in to help, and during this final battle, Grogu comes to the rescue! He uses The Force to continuously knock Moff Gideon back and throw his weapon off the side of a cliff. 

The former Mandalorian leader, who is now piloting a severely-damaged ship, flies it into the imperial base and escapes just in time. As the ship explodes into a fury of flames, Moff Gideon is engulfed in the fire, and Grogu uses The Force to save Din and Bo-Katan by making a protective shield around all three of them. 

The episode then returns to the living waters, where Din accepts the foundling Grogu as his son, making the youngling his new apprentice. The season comes to an end back on Nevaro, as Din agrees to be the sheriff, and he and Din Grogu are seen at a small ranch house out in the country. 

Could this be the end of Din and Grogu’s adventures? Are they both settling down for good? Probably not, but we’ll have to wait until the next season to find out the truth. 

The fourth season of The Mandalorian has been confirmed, and Clone Wars creator Dave Filoni is already working on a Star Wars movie, featuring the characters from all of the Disney+ spin-offs, what many people are now calling the “Mandoverse.” 

Star Wars fans have a lot in store for them this year and in the years to come! So don’t worry: there’s a lot more from where this came from!

Daniel Petrossian
Daniel Petrossian, Staff Writer
Daniel is a junior at Glendale High School. He is part of the GHS water polo and swim teams. Outside of school, he enjoys doing art and skiing.