• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

The Originals

A terrific TV show about the world’s oldest and original vampires
The+Originals

The Originals is a supernatural drama series that premiered on The CW in 2013 and ended in 2018. The show was written by Julie Plec, who originally wrote for The Vampire Diaries as well. You can watch The Originals right now on Netflix, and you can read the book series as well.

It all started with the show The Vampire Diaries, which premiered in 2009, and which we reviewed last year. It was streaming on Netflix for over ten years, but unfortunately, it was recently taken down from the website. What could be better than drama and romance combined with supernatural beings? 

In Season Four of The Vampire Diaries, a family named The Originals were presented as the oldest vampires on Earth. They appear in many episodes of that series. 

When The Vampire Diaries ended, they specifically didn’t kill off Klaus Mikaelson, who is one of the brothers in the family. This is because Julie Plec wanted to create another show to continue the story, and The Originals was released with five seasons total. 

The series focuses on the lives of the various family members. They are Klaus Mikaelson (Joseph Morgan), Elijah Mikaelson (Daniel Gillies), Rebekah Mikaelson (Claire Holt), Kol Mikaelson (Nathaniel Buzolic) and Freya Mikaelson (Riley Voelkel). 

This is by far my most favorite television series, and I could watch it on repeat for hours and hours. The reason why I always recommend it to other people is because this show is not just about supernatural beings fighting, but it also teaches a lot of life lessons to viewers. 

People always assume that The Originals is probably a boring and unrealistic show, because the characters are vampires, but what they don’t realize is that you can learn a lot from the members of the Mikaelson family. They are presented in depth, and we follow their childhood stories, and we find out what they have been through and why they are the way they are. 

The Mikaelsons are the most powerful beings on earth, and they are also immortal, as they have been alive for thousands of years. The show really teaches you how important your family is and how loyalty is essential. At the end of the day, no matter how many fights or complications the family faces, they never give up on each other and are always loyal. The Mikaelsons do absolutely everything just to protect each other, and they also do their best to always be together, bonded as one. 

The first season starts off as the family is reuniting and trying to get back to New Orleans, the city they once built. In the meantime, Hayley Marshall, who is a werewolf and one of the main characters, becomes pregnant by Klaus. The show goes on as the family faces different enemies and other supernatural beings. 

Klaus’s main goal is to protect his family and his daughter, Hope, from his enemies and everyone who tries to hurt them. This is where the famous phrase of the show comes in: “Always and Forever.” 

There is also a series called Legacies that is another take-off from The Originals. It was also written by Julie Plec, and it came out in 2018 and ended in June of last year. It has four seasons, and you can also find it on Netflix. That show is focused now on Klaus’s daughter Hope. It focuses on her and her friend’s lives, as they are in the Salvatore School. The show is pretty good as well and very interesting. 

If you can’t find a good show to watch, you should definitely check out The Originals. I would recommend that you  start off watching The Vampire Diaries, then The Originals and finally Legacies. It’s the perfect order and they are the best shows! There are also books you can check out if you prefer to read more about these characters! 

You can watch most of these shows on Netflix, Prime Video, Vudu, Apple TV, Peacock, and HBO Max. Let me know what you think, Nitros!

Edita Melkumyan
Edita Melkumyan, Staff Writer
Edita is a senior at Glendale High School. She is a journalism staff member, she enjoys music and she is a future doctor majoring in psychology. She also likes to draw and get creative during her free time.