Mrs. Sarhadian Came to GHS by Fate

Get to know one of the best English teachers at our school

Mrs. Julie Sarhadian is an English teacher at Glendale High School. She was born in Los Angeles, California and has lived here her whole life. She went to Bellarmine-Jefferson High School, which was a private Catholic school in Burbank, and she later attended California State University, Northridge, where she earned her bachelor’s degree, her teaching credential and her Master’s degree in Secondary Curriculum and Instruction.

Before coming to GHS, Mrs. Sarhadian worked many different jobs. She has her pharmacy technician license, and she worked in a hospital and in a pharmacy retail center. Later on, she started working as a substitute teacher at different schools in Glendale, because she wanted to get into teaching. 

When Mrs. Sarhadian came to GHS as a substitute, there was a position available in the English department. One of the teachers, who was the head of the English department at the time, put in a good word for her and told her to apply for the job. She ended up being hired, and she has been teaching English at GHS for over 20 years now. 

In her spare time, Mrs. Sarhadian likes to read books. She also used to write a lot of poetry, and she still does every once in a while. She loves to bake, and she has two beautiful children.  

With regards to the changes in public school education, Mrs. Sarhadian thinks that there should be a uniform that everyone should be required to wear. It could be like a school T-shirt or just something representing the school. 

Mrs. Sarhadian would also change the way that schools are passing students. For example, she doesn’t believe that a “D” should be acceptable as a passing grade in a senior-year class, because she thinks that it better prepares students for college when a “C” is the lowest grade possible.

Mrs. Sarhadian believes that schools need to raise the bar a little bit, so that students understand what to actually expect when they go to college. She feels  that, overall, seniors should be challenged a little more. 

Mrs. Sarhadian really likes it here at GHS, and her advice to any students, who want to get into education, is that they should definitely go for it. It’s never boring, and you get to meet a lot of new people. Her students have made a major impact on her life, and she has been fortunate to work with many awesome colleagues. 

Mrs. Sarhadian believes that our campus is a fun and exciting environment to be in. She thinks that she came to GHS by fate, because it was supposed to happen this way. And although she went to high school in Burbank, she is definitely a Nitro, through and through!

Edita Melkumyan
Edita Melkumyan, Staff Writer
Edita is a senior at Glendale High School. She is a journalism staff member, she enjoys music and she is a future doctor majoring in psychology. She also likes to draw and get creative during her free time.