Pride and Prejudice: Movie vs Book

Which is better, the movie or the book version of Jane Austen’s classic?

Pride and Prejudice is a really great love story about a woman named Elizabeth Bennet who is loved by a man named Mr. Darcy. This is an incredible story to look into, because it describes the relationship between two individuals that have to learn to let go of their pride and prejudice to be together. Mr. Darcy is a man who is wealthy and has power, and Elizabeth is a beautiful smart woman. 

Pride and Prejudice was published by Jane Austen in 1813, and it is a really fascinating book to read. If you are the type of person that enjoys reading classic love stories, then this novel will be the best for you.

A film adaptation of the novel was released in 2005, and it was directed by Joe Wright and stars Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen. It made over $121 million at the box office.

Overall, reading this novel will open your mind into creating images, and you’ll learn a lot more than by watching the movie. You are able to gain some knowledge by learning new words that you didn’t know before. You might even learn about how the English language has changed over time, because the book takes place in the 19th century. 

Some of my fellow classmates and teachers prefer reading the book over the movie. Ms. Garcia, my English teacher, feels the same way. “I prefer reading the book Pride and Prejudice, because in my opinion, books are always better,” she said. “There is always more to learn. The book has more details, and it makes the story more interesting when you get to read it.” 

The 2005 movie version of Pride and Prejudice is also really good to watch. Being able to see the images and the emotions of the characters can really make you feel those same emotions. Since Pride and Prejudice is a story about love, it is really fun to watch the characters overcome their conflicts and learn to let go of their pride just so that they can be together. 

It is really nice to see how the characters look and how Elizabeth Bennet comes from a family that always has to overcome problems with marriage. My classmate, Riley Lacson agrees. “I have watched the movie Pride and Prejudice and I prefer the movie over the book,” he said. “In my opinion, being able to see what is happening, and having an image already there for you, is better than reading it, because it can be hard to understand, especially since it is from the 19th century.”

Both the book and the movie Pride and Prejudice are fantastic, but overall, the book is better than the movie. Being able to read, but also to learn at the same time, is not only good for you, but just the feeling of finishing a great novel is incredible. Creating images and being excited about what to look forward to in the next chapter is better than just watching it all happen in an hour or two. Reading about Elizabeth Bennet’s romance with Mr. Darcy romance is more fun and exciting on the page.

If you want to read the novel Pride and Prejudice, you can ask for it at your local library. The novel is also available at our school library. If you want to watch the movie, it streams on HBO Max, Prime Video, and Vudu. I hope to hear your opinion about the book and the movie Pride and Prejudice, Nitros!

Krislyn Ayala
Krislyn Ayala, Staff Writer
Krislyn is a junior at Glendale High School. She enjoys listening to music, drawing, cooking food, and shopping online in her free time.