GHS Boys Basketball Gets Blown Away by Hoover

Nitro boys basketball lose their last home game against the Tornadoes

On Friday, January 28th, our boys varsity basketball team played their last home game of the season against those Easy, Breezy Tornadoes of Hoover High School. After a tough game, Hoover eventually came out on top with a final score of 33 to 55. 

Previously, our girls varsity basketball team also played against Hoover, and defeated them by a final of 51 to 24. They also played against Burbank High School on Friday, but were not able to take the win against the Bulldogs, losing 10-50. 

Spectators were limited because of COVID-19 restrictions. Before the game started, GHS drum major, Carmelo Geron, performed the National Anthem. A student from Wilson Middle School also made a half-court shot before the start of the fourth quarter, which granted him one-hundred dollars.  

The starting five of the night were Mo Shareef (#0) Dior Pierre (#4), Greg Avedian (#23), Lanz Cordovilla (#35), and Jahir Ponciano (#12). Seniors Avedian, Cordovilla, and Ponciano were also honored for the hard work and dedication that they’ve put in throughout this year’s season. 

During the first quarter of the game, the scores remained close for both teams. Cordovilla and Shareef scored the Nitros first 4 points, followed by a 3-point basket by Pierre. 

However, the Tornadoes expanded their lead over the next three quarters, as the score eventually grew to a 18-point advantage. They kept scoring 3-point baskets, but Avedian and Ponciano were able to score the Nitro’s last 3 points before the game ended. 

Overall, the game was an upset for our boys, but Cordovilla believes that the team can do better. “We have only three seniors, [and] like six sophomores and five juniors,” Cordovilla said. “[The underclassmen] are really young and they’re gonna improve more.”

We hope that our boys basketball teams will be able to get back to their winning ways next season. Our girls varsity squad will be concluding their winter season at home on Friday, February 4th at 6:30pm, against Pilibos High School.

About the Contributors
Lauren Claire Avelino
Lauren Claire Avelino, Editor-in-Chief
Lauren Claire is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Best Buddies Club and is a Nitro Crew leader. She enjoys reading and writing, listening to music, and spending time with her family.
Edgar Torabyan
Edgar Torabyan, Staff Writer
Edgar is a senior at Glendale High School. He’s a part of the journalism and cinematography programs at GHS, but he also enjoys participating in various other school activities. Outside of school, Edgar likes doing normal stuff, like drinking water and breathing oxygen.