GHS Varsity Basketball Overcome by Arcadia

Nitro varsity basketball teams struggle to take the lead against the Apaches

On Thursday, December 16th, the GHS girls and boys varsity basketball teams played at home against the Apaches of Arcadia High School. This was yet another tough game, and our Lady Nitros fell short by 34 points, with a final score of 33-67. Our boys also fell short by 21 points, with a final score of 46-67. 

Previously, our girls squad played at home against Sultana High School and beat the Sultans by 61-32. Our boys squad also traveled to Temple City High School and beat the Rams by 53-44. 

Girls Varsity: 

The starting five of the night were Carmen Avedian (#5), Natalie Keshishyan (#10), Cherilyn Legaspi (#15), Sarine Kaloghlian (#20), and Jane Bassil (#23). 

As always, the girls started out strong, and they continued to play really well throughout the first quarter. Bassil scored the team’s first two points, followed by a 3-pointer shot from Legaspi. The Apaches started increasing their lead by the second half of the game, but that did not stop our girls from scoring several more free throws and 3-point baskets. 

Boys Varsity: 

The starting five were Mika Petrosian (#3), Dior Pierre (#4), Jahir Ponciano (#12), Tino Zadorian (#20), and Hovany Nazaretian (#24). 

Throughout the first half of the game, the scores were really close. Ponciano scored the team’s first three points, followed by another 4 points scored by Pierre and Zadorian. Both teams tied several times during the 2nd quarter, and the Nitros were able to get in the lead, thanks to Petrosian, Pierre, and Denzel Lora (#1). However, the Apaches eventually overtook our boys, resulting in a 21-point win.

Although both games were strenuous and several injuries had occurred, our Nitro teams continued to show grit and teamwork throughout the night. Both squads will continue their season throughout winter break, and we wish them the best of luck.

Don’t miss their next big game against those Easy Breezy Tornadoes of Hoover High School on January 20th and January 28th, and keep checking our GHS Sports Calendar to stay updated on all of our games.

About the Contributors
Lauren Claire Avelino
Lauren Claire Avelino, Editor-in-Chief
Lauren Claire is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Best Buddies Club and is a Nitro Crew leader. She enjoys reading and writing, listening to music, and spending time with her family.
Edgar Torabyan
Edgar Torabyan, Staff Writer
Edgar is a senior at Glendale High School. He’s a part of the journalism and cinematography programs at GHS, but he also enjoys participating in various other school activities. Outside of school, Edgar likes doing normal stuff, like drinking water and breathing oxygen.