The Nature of Tattoos

And why it’s such a hard decision to get one
The Nature of Tattoos

Nowadays, tattoos are a very popular form of art. People are not only getting tattoos for fun, as there are different types of tattoos that people use for specific practical reasons. Overall, tattoos are such a beautiful way to express yourself, and I personally would get one as well. 

However, before deciding to get a tattoo done, everyone needs to think a lot before making the final decision. Tattooing is expensive, and for some people, the process may hurt, since not everyone has the same pain tolerance. 

Thanks to the newest technologies, there are different ways to remove unwanted tattoos, but this is twice as expensive and hurts even more, according to people that have experienced these laser removals. That is why it’s best that you really wait to make an informed decision about the tattoo, and you should think about it for a certain time, before you get one.

According to an article on the website Wellcome Collection, tattoos were first seen around when they were preserved in tombs in Japan, dating back to 5000 BCE. According to Pennsylvania State University, the first person seen with tattoos was Otzi the Iceman, and his tattoos were recovered after his body was inspected, and doctors found ink under the surface of his skin. 

The history of tattoos is very old, but they are still very popular and trendy, as we can see. There are many reasons why people might want to get tattoos and some of them include peer pressure and media influence. A lot of people are very impressionable, and they tend to be very eager to copy and do every single thing that others are doing. This is a very bad reason for  people to receive tattoos. Despite the history of this tradition, there are just some people who love the art of it all.

There are a lot of talented tattoo artists nowadays, who do a lot of great work, and some are talented enough to turn others’ insecurities into a beautiful piece of art on their body. Some women are using tattoos to get rid of stretch marks from pregnancy or from weight loss. People also receive tattoos to fill in their eyebrows, to overline their lips, to add permanent eyeliner and even foundation to their face, because it can save them a lot of time throughout the day. Tattoos can help people feel pretty and confident, and they will always be ready to look stunning at any occasion.

Current tattoo artists follow a lot of new standards, and they perform complex and impeccable work. They create very nice pieces, which are very cute, and those who are willing to do so can give it a try at a certain age in their life. 

However, before getting a tattoo, you really need to think carefully about it. A lot of professional organizations may not hire you if you have visible tattoos, or you may need to cover them up while you’re working. That is why you should think twice before getting a tattoo on a part of your body that cannot easily be covered by clothing. 

Tattoos can also affect your lifestyle, as well as how people perceive you. A lot of people regret getting visible tattoos, because they receive poor perceptions from others who are judgemental of them. 

From a psychological point of view, tattoos can also be considered as a better way of coping with your body. People tend to start loving their body more, and start building more confidence, after receiving tattoos, which helps them to be more mentally stable and happier in their own skin. 

To conclude, I would like to give a little bit of advice, especially to teenagers who are so eager to get their first tattoos. There’s always going to be an opportunity for you to try doing something new, and there’s also going to be another way of achieving what you want in life. But in order for you to make the right decisions early on in your life, that you will still be happy with in the future, you need to wisely consider the consequences of those decisions. You do not want to regret those decisions later in your life. 

Therefore, I hope that all of you are thoughtful in your life decisions, such as getting a tattoo, because it is something that will stay with you forever. Your tattoo should represent something meaningful for you, and it should be something that will remain that way into your old age.

A tattoo is a very important choice that you need to make carefully, and so it is best to just think about it before getting it done. Just know that there will always be an opportunity for you to get a tattoo, so just be absolutely sure that this decision is what’s best for you.

I wish you luck with all of your decisions later on in life, Nitros!

Araksya Harutyunyan
Araksya Harutyunyan, Staff Writer
Araksya Harutyunyan is a senior at Glendale High School. She has been a student in journalism since her freshman year. She’s a singer and is passionate about what she does. She loves to write articles and enjoys her journalism class.