Kacey Martinez Is Hitting for Power

Senior captain proves that softball isn’t for softies

Kacey Martinez is a 17-year-old senior at Glendale High School. She has been a Nitro since her freshman year. She loves to dance, do her makeup, listen to music, and spend time with her friends. Kacey is also currently one of the captains of the varsity softball team.

Kacey’s passion for the sport came from always watching it on TV with her family, and she started playing softball the summer before her freshman year. Kacey feels that she became a captain because she has “always [been] trusted by the coaches” for her “skills as a leader.”

Her motivation for softball is that she gets to let all her anger out on the field. She also feels motivated by her family, especially by her dad. 

Kacey’s favorite part about being on the softball team is “getting along with everyone, making new friends and teaching the newer players.” One of the more difficult aspects of being on the team is that sometimes she feels that she gives up too easily.

This year, Kacey is focused on leading her team to the CIF Playoffs. She has also made it a goal for her team to win all of their games against Hoover High School.

As of right now, Kacey does not see herself professionally playing softball after high school. However, she does see herself studying business in college, while also working a job on the side.

If you want to know more information about the GHS softball team, check them out on Instagram: @nitros_softball!

Diana Khachatryan
Diana Khachatryan, Staff Writer
Diana is a junior at Glendale High School. She is a part of the journalism program. She enjoys spending time with friends, listening to music, dancing, and learning new languages.