The 2020 Homecoming Court Is Happening!

UPDATED: The window for turning in an application for Homecoming Court has been extended to Tuesday, October 13th!

Diana Arakelian is Director of Activities for GHS, and she is primarily in charge of one of the largest events at Glendale High School, the Homecoming Court. This year, she and the Homecoming Court Committee will be organizing this event. This is her first year as Director of Activities, and she is very excited to organize Homecoming Court.

This year Homecoming Court will be a little different, because of all the social distancing going on. In previous years, we would have a duke and a duchess from the junior, sophomore and freshman classes, but this year we will only elect five senior boys and five senior girls for the Court. We would also conduct a Homecoming Dance, but unfortunately, due to the current circumstances, we will not be able to host an event like this.

For Diana, this Homecoming Court was not as difficult as expected, because she has a great Homecoming Court Committee, which is full of passionate people. They are all very helpful to Diana, and she hopes everyone has fun this year.

Diana feels the future is still capable of providing us with so much fun. She feels that even though we are still in a time of social distancing, we can still feel connected through school spirit. Participating in activities like this is what makes this school great. 

Fortunately, there still is a chance to run for Homecoming Court this year but only for the Class of 2021. Seniors, it is your time to shine! If you’d like to run for Homecoming Court please contact Mr. Livingston at [email protected]. Applications are due by Tuesday at 1pm, so there is no time to waste! Also make sure to merge your application into one file before submitting it. 

Homecoming Court Elections will be this Thursday and Friday, October 15th to 16th, and during these two days make sure to check your email for the ballot and vote. This election is open to all GHS students, even underclassmen, so good luck to all the candidates!

Finally, many people have been asking if we will be having a Homecoming Spirit Week, also known as our infamous annual Beat Hoover Week. As of right now, the decision is not set in stone, but we will most likely have a week full of competitive events between our schools during the week of November 16th. Make sure to check your Monday Announcement emails for more news about Beat Hoover Week next month.

Davit Arakelian
Davit Arakelian, Staff Writer
Davit is a junior at Glendale High School. He is a member of the Construction Academy, and his interests include playing video games, watching Netflix, and playing sports.