Weak Hero Class 1

A high school action drama that you can’t miss!

Weak Hero Class 1 is a 2022 K-drama starring Park Ji-Hoon, who some may know from the time when he was a member of the K-pop group called Astro. The series also features Choi Hyun-Wook, who has acted on other popular K-dramas, such as Taxi Driver, Racket Boys, and Twenty-Five Twenty-One, and Hong Kyung, who has gained more recognition upon acting in this series and Revenant

Weak Hero Class 1 is based on a 2018 webtoon titled Weak Hero by Seopass and Kim Jin-seok. You can watch it now on Amazon Prime, or you can view it on Kocowa for free.

I began watching this series after finding out that one of my favorite webcomics had gotten a live-action adaptation. I went into it not expecting a lot from the show, but my expectations were shattered by amazing acting and camera work, compelling characters, and entertaining action!

The story follows a teenager named Yeon Si-Eun, who is a model student, ranking in the top 1% of his school. He is only interested in his studies and doing well on his exams, but he becomes a target of bullies and decides to fight back. 

Si-Eun is rather introverted and straightforward at the beginning of the show. You are not really sure what he is thinking or what it means when he often has a certain look on his face. But as the show progresses, you find out more about Si-Eun’s character and his mindset. By the end of the series, you know exactly what he is thinking just by the look on his face.

Another character, Ahn Su-Ho, is a carefree, strong, and skillful student, who unexpectedly decides to help Si-Eun fight off the bullies. Su-Ho usually minds his own business and doesn’t even need to go to school, but he only does so because of a promise he made to his sick grandmother. 

The other students do not mess with Su-Ho, since he is muscular and does not engage in many school activities. He is portrayed as a nice guy who doesn’t  concern himself with other people’s problems, until later on in the show. Watching Su-Ho’s character slowly open up to his friends makes their bond even more meaningful, and this really makes you feel attached to his likable personality. 

Oh Beom-Seok is a shy character who has been bullied as well, so he decides to join Si-Eun and Su-Ho. Beom-Seok becomes a mutual connection for them, so that they can become closer. 

Eventually, the three of these characters begin to connect and enjoy their friendship and time together. We see them often hanging out after school and enjoying lunches together during the day. 

Beom-Seok always tries to pay for his friends, as that is most likely the only way he has been included in friendship groups in the past. And we see how he is obsessed with the way that online reality is a part of the social relations of the current generation now. Beom-Seok tries to define himself throughout the show and to find his place in society. He tries to establish connections the only way he knows how: through money and violence. His inferiority complex affects the bond between the three boys, and this turns into a chain of events that tears their friendship apart.

The problem with this series is that it often feels a little too fast-paced and condensed. There are times when you wish there were more moments before the final showdown, and that there were more scenes of the characters establishing and enjoying their bond. It’s jarring when characters jump into danger for each other, when it seems like they have only just met. 

This show has great fighting choreography, making each punch and kick feel so impactful, and the amazing acting makes the fights seem even more realistic. The fighting scenes are not just shaky camera work, with multiple cuts after each grunt. Instead, the fighting is creative, and the characters often use the objects within their surroundings as weapons, such as shoelaces, backpacks, fire extinguishers, and pencils.

However, this series does not glorify violence, and the scenes of abuse are treated seriously. There are no weightless or useless moments, that are just there for the sake of action. The fights and injuries we see actually affect the characters, and there are stakes involved that make you worry for them. The show also touches on the topics of drug use, the pressure that many teenagers are under, economic instability, physical abuse, and other relatable world issues.

Throughout the series, viewers witness the characters’ growth and development, and we get to witness the complexities of their relationships. If you are looking for a show with a lot of emotions and meaningful friendships, and one that deals with the themes of loneliness, loyalty, betrayal, and revenge, all mixed together with action, then this is a perfect pick for you!

Similar shows to Weak Hero Class 1 include Bloodhounds, Revenge of Others, and The King of Pigs. You should give all of them a watch as well!

Elina Arutunian
Elina Arutunian, Staff Writer
Elina is a junior at Glendale High School. She is a member of both the journalism and yearbook programs. She enjoys watching different TV shows and movies, as well as hanging out with her friends and siblings. In her free time, she also loves listening to music and taking walks.