Emily Churukian Surfs Those Waves

President of Surf Club dives right into people’s hearts!
Emily Churukian (right) shares a day at the beach with Nelin Gharpetian.

Emily Churukian is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the ASB Director of Publicity, a section editor of the 2024 GHS yearbook, and the president of the Surf Club on our campus. 

Emily enjoys spending her free time drawing, playing soccer, and surfing outside of school. Her favorite shows include Breaking Bad and Avatar: The Last Airbender. She has been surfing since 2019, and she hopes to get more people to step out of their comfort zone to enjoy some surfing along with her.

Emily joined the Surf Club during her junior year, and she was friends with the previous president, Lizzie Davtyan, who wanted her to take the position of president during her senior year. So Emily became more involved with the club and ran for president this school year.

Emily wants the Surf Club to be a place where people can have fun and learn something new. The club has future community opportunities, such as collaborations with the Save the Seas Club, where both clubs will participate in a beach clean-up for community service hours.

Although the Surf Club is currently just a social club, it has an enjoyable atmosphere, featuring the charming mascot Sashimi. The biggest challenge that the club has faced has been getting people over their fears of the ocean, the water, and sharks.

Learning to surf is easier if you stay out of the water.

As club president, Emily’s favorite part is the interactions that she has with her members. She loves getting to see their excitement and their will to step out of their comfort zones to try new things!

Some advice Emily has for the current and upcoming Surf Club members is to participate in the club trips due to their affordability, compared to private surfing lessons. In the future, Emily hopes to make surfing lessons more affordable and to offer new opportunities for her members. 

After graduation, Emily plans to go to art school and keep surfing as much as possible. Influenced by her family’s involvement in the art industry, she hopes to work as a concept artist. Her dream job would be to work for Studio Ghibli, as it is rare for a company to have such an original art style and gorgeous animation.

If you would like to join the Surf Club, reach out to their advisor Ms. Khalatyan, at [email protected]. You can also follow them on Instagram: @surfclubghs and become a part of their amazing club!

Elina Arutunian
Elina Arutunian, Staff Writer
Elina is a junior at Glendale High School. She is a member of both the journalism and yearbook programs. She enjoys watching different TV shows and movies, as well as hanging out with her friends and siblings. In her free time, she also loves listening to music and taking walks.