• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Delusional, Dev Lemons

Ever heard of Dev Lemons? Now you have!

The album Delusional was released on May 26, 2023, by American singer-songwriter Dev Lemons, who specializes in R&B and bedroom pop music. These tracks were produced by some amazing people, such as Jondren Hwang, Jared Solomon, and Liam Hall. The album consists of six songs, and it is available for streaming now on YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music

Delusional features songs that touch on the topic of breaking up, but they also focus on the ideas of jealousy and feeling out of the loop with regards to your emotions, as well as not being able to convey them very well.

Devon Vonder Schmalz, or Dev Lemons, is an artist based in Pennsylvania. She first started experimenting with music in high school, without much knowledge of music theory. She eventually launched her music career in 2018 as Miss iPad.

The first track on this new album is called “Cyberpunk Fairy”. The lyrics convey the emotional turmoil and inner conflict that may exist within a relationship. Lemons sings about the complexities and challenges of emotional vulnerability and intimacy, and she faces the struggles that come with figuring out her feelings for another person.

The music itself captures the essence of a futuristic fairy tale vibe, with its dramatic cello and an enticing drop that smoothly transitions into the next track, “Nightstand.” The way these songs flow together makes you feel like you are a part of a larger story.

In “Nightstand”, Lemons conveys an emotional struggle and a sense of feeling undervalued or unappreciated in a relationship. The song reflects on how difficult it is to trust another person and to become emotionally vulnerable in a romantic bond. 

This song is the favorite of many people, and it resonates with listeners, not only because of its lyrics, but also because of its peppy melody. There is an especially intense moment when Lemons passionately preaches from the depths of her soul. The song’s beauty lies in its simplicity. It captivates the listener, with subtle yet powerful touches, that leave an indelible mark in the audience.

In “Dizzy Vision,” Lemons sings about dealing with jealousy. The verses depict instances of sudden falls and scars, symbolizing the unpredictability and pain within a relationship. At one point, Lemons admits, “I shouldn’t touch but can’t resist,” which reveals that she is grappling with jealousy and her complex emotions. It shows the internal struggle of wanting to hold back but not being able to do so. 

The playful yet mature exploration of personal struggles is accentuated by intricate beats and lively drums, which all make the song really engaging. Lemons definitely commands your attention, by casting a whirlwind of auditory fascination. This song is personally one of my favorites, as it has a very unique melody and captivating lyrics.

“If You Wanna Reach Me” explores the idea of heartbreak in a simple and relatable way. The song speaks about the desire to be hidden from someone’s view, while simultaneously yearning for their attention. The song deals with the concepts of desire and intimacy, and Lemons seems consumed by an internal battle between wanting to be pursued and also needing privacy and emotional distance. The song’s adventurous pop sound keeps things interesting, and it all comes to a climax in a dynamic closure that mirrors the lively energy of the track.

“You Tear Me Apart” dives into the ups and downs that occur in any relationship, especially the difficulty of being vulnerable with someone who may not be supportive of you. The beginning of the song depicts a sense of initial optimism and the belief that things will work out. But then these feelings are quickly shattered by emotional distress. 

Lemons laments, “As soon as I crawl towards the light, you eat me alive,” which encapsulates her struggle of vulnerability, met with resistance and negativity, and the feeling of constantly being criticized within a relationship. The complex music in the background adds further depth to the emotional lyrics. 

The last song on the album is called “Think About It”, and this song reflects on a desire for positive change within a troubled relationship. Sometimes both parties need to be more introspective and better consider their actions and attitudes. The background music on this track, and the little details within the melody, match the lyrics, and the overall aesthetic of the album that has been leading up to this point.

Ultimately, Delusional is a heartfelt album that dives into the ups and downs of love and relationships. Through her songs, Lemons is able to tell stories of emotional struggle, heartache, and the complexities of the human connection. With touching lyrics and captivating melodies, the album allows listeners to go on an emotional journey, making it a heartfelt and relatable musical experience.

And if you enjoy Dev Lemon’s music, you might also want to check out Hemlocke Springs, Jordana, or Underscores.

Elina Arutunian
Elina Arutunian, Staff Writer
Elina is a junior at Glendale High School. She is a member of both the journalism and yearbook programs. She enjoys watching different TV shows and movies, as well as hanging out with her friends and siblings. In her free time, she also loves listening to music and taking walks.