GHS Football Falls in First Home Game

Our GHS Nitros battled against the Panthers of Polytechnic School at Moyse Stadium
Photo by Maily Navarrete

On Friday, September 10th, the Glendale High School boys varsity football team played against the Panthers of Polytechnic School in our very own Moyse Stadium. At this event, marching band, color guard, the Drill and Cheer teams were also present. Many Nitro fans also came on to the stands to cheer our boys on. Ultimately, our team lost to Poly with a final of 43 to 14, but the participants in the stands still enjoyed the game.

Before the game started, our marching band was seen playing “The Star Spangled”, in honor of the 20th Anniversary of September 11th. They also played “Glendale Boys” and other pep songs during their halftime show performance. Marching band’s drum major, Carmelo Geron, recalls that Friday night’s game “was fun, because it was the first time that the marching band was in a football event” this year.

Our cheer team also performed amazing stunts and dances throughout the game. In the stands, some of the JV girls were handing out $1 “fan pom poms” and GHS pins, to help them support their team. One of the team’s varsity captains, Lindsay Doody, says that the team’s favorite moment during Friday’s game was doing their dances while marching band was performing. “They always bring the spirit”, she expressed. 

Friday night’s home game was a tough one for our football team. For the most part, they faltered behind without any points in the first three quarters, while the Panthers scored on nearly every drive.

However, it wasn’t until the final quarter that our boys made two touchdowns. With about eight minutes left of the fourth quarter, Keirson Florita scored their first 6 points at the 80-yard line, followed by Dino Villalobos, who scored another 6 points for the team. 

This is just one of the many home football games of the season. We believe that our boys can take home the win within the next few games. Go Nitros!

Lauren Claire Avelino
Lauren Claire Avelino, Editor-in-Chief
Lauren Claire is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Best Buddies Club and is a Nitro Crew leader. She enjoys reading and writing, listening to music, and spending time with her family.