Back to the Future

Back to 1955!

The classic sci-fi movie, Back to the Future, premiered on July 3, 1985. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis, produced by Bob Gale and Neil Canton, and written by Zemeckis and Gale. It even has two sequels, Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III.

This movie has action, fantasy, comedy, adventure, science fiction, and even romance. If you are bored at home, and want to watch something exciting and intense, then this movie is for you! 

It starts in 1985, with a 17-year-old teenage boy named Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) who lives with his depressed, alcoholic mother, Lorraine (Lea Thompson), his meek father, George (Crispin Glover), and his failure siblings. During the night, Emmett “Doc” Brown (Christopher Lloyd), Marty’s good scientist friend, asks him to check out something new that he has invented. 

Doc reveals his new time machine as a DMC DeLorean, and Marty is blown away to see this. When Doc is demonstrating his time machine for the first time, a series of mishaps cause Marty to travel back in time thirty years. 

Eventually, Marty’s now-teenaged mother somehow falls in love with him instead of George, and now Marty’s mission is to make sure that his parents fall in love with each other. Otherwise, Marty’s existence will be erased from history…

Back to the Future was a huge hit back in 1985. It was one of the top-grossing movies worldwide, with a box office total of around $383 million. Both Fox and Lloyd do a fantastic job making this movie entertaining. They make the movie funny and exciting, and all the tension that Marty is dealing with makes it even better. 

The personality of each character makes this movie so unique. Marty is a charismatic guy, who enjoys riding his skateboard, knows how to defend himself when it comes to bullies, and dresses cool, as well. Doc is brilliant and enthusiastic, and he speaks grandly. He doesn’t let anything stand in his way, and even if something is wrong, he still tries to make an effort out of it. As Marty’s father says, “If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.”

Although Doc is significantly older than Marty, these two characters create an incredible team in the film. There is a connection between them that is similar to that of a father and son. They both genuinely care about one another and cooperate when things get tough. 

Besides the great acting in the movie, they have awesome songs as well. Two of them are “Johnny B. Goode” by Chuck Berry, and “The Power of Love,” by Huey Lewis and The News. If you have seen Back to the Future you will know exactly what songs I’m talking about, but if you haven’t, you should consider adding these songs to your playlist. 

The ending of this movie is super hectic, as Marty tries to get back home to Hill Valley in 1985. The final scenes will have you on the edge of your seat, as one obstacle after another stands in his way.

Although the first Back to the Future film is likely the best of the series, Robert Zemeckis was still able to produce two more terrific films. Even though this first film is set in 1985 rather than 2023, it still highlights how different the times and generations were at the time. Additionally, we get to see a variety of old clothing, cars, homes, restaurants, and schools.

This movie won and was nominated for several awards, and it certainly deserved it. This is such an entertaining sci-fi movie to watch and enjoy. 

During your free time, you should definitely consider watching Back to the Future. And if you have already seen the first one already, definitely watch Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III, which are both available on Amazon Prime Video and Vudu.

Erica Hovanesian
Erica Hovanesian, Spotlight Editor
Erica is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and she is a part of the JV girls soccer team. This is her second year as a member of the journalism class, and she is hoping to continue this class through her senior year. Some of the hobbies are playing sports, such as soccer and swimming, reading, listening to music, and crocheting.