Mariam Brito Salazar Brings the Right Mixture to GHS

Chemistry Club president wants everyone to share her passion for science

Mariam Brito Salazar is a junior at Glendale High School. She was born in Glendale, but every so often she would move to Mexico and then back to California. Some of Mariam’s hobbies include reading, drawing, and learning about astronomy and history. She also plays volleyball for our girl’s varsity team.

Mariam is the founder and president of the Chemistry Club at GHS. She and her team look to build a new science community here. Her club is hoping to bring new scientific thinking and hypotheses to our campus.

There hasn’t been a club in the field of chemistry at our school for a while now. “From what I understood, there wasn’t a specific club in school related to any sciences, so I started this club to get more students engaged in science,” Mariam said.

Mariam’s passion for science is what originally brought her to start her club. “What primarily inspired me was my passion for chemistry and how the universe works on a molecular level,” she said. 

Mariam also wants students to get involved and familiar with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). “In the future, most jobs will be related to STEM,” she said, “so it will be important for our students to be given the opportunity to learn something that can benefit [them] in the future.”

The Chemistry Club holds meetings every first and third Thursday of the month during lunchtime in Ms. Jashan’s room, 4414. “During these meetings, we learn about interesting facts about chemistry, and perform labs and experiments, such as elephant toothpaste and [pushing] cans using air pressure,” Mariam said. They also help each other with their science homework during these meetings.

There are many objectives for the Chemistry Club here at GHS, but the main one would be answering tough questions and figuring out the world around us. Mariam said, “Chemistry answers ambiguous questions, like how did life end up here and why is water liquid. The main purpose of this club is getting a better understanding of the world around us.”

Mariam’s favorite part about being president of the Chemistry Club is engaging with students and seeing the fascination that chemistry has on people. She also said, “Students should join if they are interested in STEM or any scientific field, but the club is open to everyone.”

Mariam feels hopeful about the future of her club. “We are brand new this year,” she admitted. “Next year, we will be much more involved with the school, and I am already planning new experiments for the future.” 

If you want more information about the GHS Chemistry Club, you can message them on Instagram: @ghschemistry.

Alexander Shirvanian
Alexander Shirvanian, Social Media Director
Alex is a junior at Glendale High School. He plays varsity football for the Glendale Nitros, and he works at In N Out. Alex loves playing cards and enjoys running and exercising.