• May 31The Black Team defeats the Pink Team, 41-7, in the 2024 Powderpuff Football Game!
  • May 24Senior Lilit Arakelyan wins the 2024 Pat Navalonic Memorial Award! Lilit will be attending UCLA in the fall!
  • May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins the 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Working at In-N-Out!

That’s what a part-time job is all about!

In-N-Out has the best burgers of the west. 

It’s also the busiest place to get a burger and fries. I should know, because I have to run down the line for lunch rush, three days a week, at Store 157 on Harvey Drive. It’s about a ten-minute walk from Glendale High School, and it’s right off the 134 Freeway, which plays a role in how busy the drive-through is.

I first started working at In-N-Out during the summer of 2023. The interview process was nerve-racking, because this was my first time applying for a job. But to ease my way into having the interview, I first had to apply online through the In-N-Out website

Once they were interested in my application, I had my first ever interview about two weeks after I applied. I created my own resume, listing my hobbies, academic success and sport accolades. I built the resume around being able to prove that I am a team player and can work hard, even if I have to help lead my team. This ultimately was the reason that I was hired on the spot, the same day as the interview.

Alexander before his shift.

Before my first day of work, I felt a mix of nervousness and excited at the same time, but once I got there, and suited up in all white, I realized that there was nothing to be nervous about. My managers and coworkers were very welcoming, and for the first couple days, you’re not doing much other than watching training videos and shadowing a more experienced worker.

As you gain more experience, and the managers feel they can start trusting you, you eventually work at the cash register. This is where things get hectic, because working that line is no joke. There have been hours on end when the line ust looks still, even if we are working as fast as we can. Eventually I just got used to it, and kinda started enjoying it, because time flies by while I’m taking people’s orders.

Once you rank up even more, you get to go on the pay window, prepare French fries or go outside and take orders with our tablet, which we employees call “handheld”. If you want a challenge that pays well, you should definitely apply to  In-N-Out and see where it goes. Who knows? Maybe one day you will be managing your In-N-Out store. (Oh and by the way, these managers make over $150 thousand a year, so this might serve as just a little more motivation for you.) Good luck, Nitros!

Alexander Shirvanian
Alexander Shirvanian, Staff Writer
Alex is a junior at Glendale High School. He plays varsity football for the Glendale Nitros, and he works at In N Out. Alex loves playing cards and enjoys running and exercising.