Nitro Community Commemorates Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day

GHS hosts the annual Armenian Genocide Commemoration Assembly

In addition to serving as a platform for teaching what happened on April 24, 1915, the yearly assembly at Glendale High School for Armenian Genocide Memorial Day also serves to honor all those who lost their lives on that crucial day. The GHS Armenian Club, whose advisor is Mrs. Lucin Hayrikyan, is hosting its annual Armenian Genocide Commemoration Assembly today. This assembly is important to raise awareness and to shine a light on the recent tragic events that are occurring in Armenia, due to the prejudice and hatred towards the Armenian people, which is fueled by the Azerbaijani and Turkish governments. 

Dancing is a means of communicating the struggles, ideals, and distinctiveness of a culture. Therefore, a group of students will perform a dance during the Commemoration Assembly. This performance often shows the beauty of Armenian culture, and how the Armenian people have overcome such awful tragedies. The dance was choreographed by the students involved and will feature traditional Armenian music.

Armenian children commonly memorize poems as part of their educational system. They may then recite those poems by heart and express their emotions through a variety of expressions. 

As a result, during the assembly, students will perform Armenian poetry that has been translated into English, so that non-Armenian speakers can understand the lines. These are beautiful poems that have been written by famous writers, and each one has a powerful meaning. 

People’s perspectives on a variety of issues are extremely valuable and can have a significant impact on others. As a result, a video will be shown during the assembly that features a collection of teachers’ perspectives on the Armenian Genocide. 

It is important to give everyone a chance to raise their voice and state their opinions, which can help to raise awareness and to honor the survivors. We must also fight for justice for those people who sadly lost their lives during the Armenian Genocide. It is critical that people from various cultures understand the importance of accepting what has occurred, and the Turkish government must finally accept it. 

Mrs. Lucin Hayrikyan 

As you know, every year, on April 24, Armenian people in Armenia, as well as those world-wide, commemorate the Armenian Genocide of 1915 and give respect to the one and a half million innocent victims of that atrocity. 

I have been the advisor of the GHS Armenian Club for 21 years. I am also a descendant of genocide survivors, from both my father’s and my mother’s sides. 

Every year, the Armenian Club of Glendale High School hosts the Armenian Genocide Commemoration Assembly. I think, having the assembly at our school is important for our students, because of its goal is to raise awareness about the Armenian Genocide, as the first genocide of the 20th century, which took place 108 years ago. 

The perpetrators of the Armenian Genocide were not punished, and no resolution has been made to the victims. Adolf Hilter saw it as a valid precedent for his plan to wipe out the Jews of Europe during the Second World War. Unfortunately, the Nazi Holocaust was followed by other genocides in the world, like the genocides in Cambodia and in Rwanda. 

The recognition of the Armenian Genocide, as well as the genocides following it, can lead the world to justice and prevent future genocides in the world.

Our Assembly includes speeches, presentations, and cultured performances by our students to symbolize survival and rebirth. 

Even though the Armenian Genocide occurred over 100 years ago, we can still raise awareness of the incidents that took place during this shameful period in world history. Making this issue more visible will aid in preventing similar tragedies from occurring in the future.

UPDATE: Please go HERE to view today’s assembly!

Ilona Serobyan
Ilona Serobyan, Staff Writer
Ilona is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and she is part of the Armenian Club. This is her second year as a member of the journalism staff, and she is proud to work on the school newspaper. She enjoys reading, sports, and art.