Mr. Kelly Is Keeping It Physical!

Is AP Physics as hard as it sounds?
Mr. Kelly Is Keeping It Physical!

Mr. Darnell Kelly was born in the Californian San Fernando Valley. After completing his undergraduate studies at UC Berkeley, he proceeded to Cal State University, Northridge to pursue his Master’s degree. In the end, he settled in California because of the state’s gorgeous sunshine. 

Mr. Kelly has been a teacher for nineteen years in total. He taught for two years at San Francis High School, a private Catholic school in La Canada, and for seventeen years at Glendale High School. He currently teaches both AP Physics and regular Physics on our campus.

How did you first become a teacher?

Well, at first I was working [at] Target, but then my old eighth-grade teacher came and said, “You look bored here. Let’s get you into the University of Phoenix.” I taught an HTML class there. I liked it a lot, [and] I felt that is where I am comfortable. And from there, I just went to take all the tests to become a high school teacher. 

Did you have other plans besides teaching?

Yes. I wanted to work at JPL [the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory] when I first finished my physics degree, but teaching is fun. I wanted to be a physicist at JPL. 

What were some difficulties you faced while trying to reach your goals?

Well, you know, like personal life, things always happen. It is always normal life, making relationships. 

What’s the best part about being a teacher?

I find talking to students with different personalities rather easy, [and] I treat everyone equally. That is the fun part: I see everyone as who they are and accept them. 

What personality traits do you feel a teacher needs to be successful?

Leadership, boldness, [and] confidence. [You also need] an excellent understanding of the material. We need a lot of patience. Even if we get angry, we have to control it. 

How emotionally draining is your job?

Not at all. If [there’s] any day I have a bad day, it does not let me down. I do not go home mad. I just keep myself calm and collected. 

How else has working at GHS influenced your life?

Being good with colleges, professional relationships, and just in general knowing people. It is very fun to know how everyone interacts. Personally, it has been good. 

Why did you decide to be an AP teacher and not just a regular teacher?

Because I am super rigorous with my material. I love physics at that high level, [and] I am very good at it. It is just my lifestyle. I wanted a challenge. 

It is not just that: it is also fun to be on a rather high level of the material. There are different dynamics and topics between my AP and regular physics classes. 

What advice do you have for our GHS students?

Be true to yourself, and know what you want. However, it is okay not to know what you want right now. Just be true to yourself, work hard and you will find what your calling is in life, in the end. 

I’m confident in saying that Mr. Kelly’s physics class is entertaining, productive, and all-around enjoyable. I eagerly anticipate each day to see what engaging and fun task or assignment we will be working on. We always change things up in class, so I never get bored. 

Mr. Kelly consistently manages to introduce his students to something fresh and engaging. This is a course that anyone interested in taking an AP course ought to think carefully about. You will perform well in this class, if you maintain focus and are ready to give it your all, at all times. This course also improves your capacity for knowledge, application, and thought. 

So if you are interested in taking AP Physics in the future, stop by Room 6312, and talk to Mr. Kelly. He will set you on the right path for your future.

Stay physical, Nitros!

Ilona Serobyan
Ilona Serobyan, Staff Writer
Ilona is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and she is part of the Armenian Club. This is her second year as a member of the journalism staff, and she is proud to work on the school newspaper. She enjoys reading, sports, and art.