Halloween Nights Are Not So Horror-ble

Don’t miss out on this annual event at Universal Studios–if you can afford it…

Halloween Horror Nights is an after-hours event held annually, from early September to the end of October. at Universal Studios Hollywood. Every year, different themes and mazes are created at the theme park, ranging from scary to super scary. (It all depends on what you can handle!) The actors who work the event come out from random areas inside each maze, and they usually jump out on the side of your face when you are going through a scare zone. 

This year the theme of Horror Nights is “Never Go Alone”. This is pretty good advice, as you should never go by yourself to this event because it is intense. 

Horror Nights is not suitable for people aged thirteen years or younger, and you should definitely go with a group of friends that you trust. No costumes or masks are allowed, due to people mistakenly assuming that you are one of the scare actors.

This year, there eight separate Haunted Houses, or mazes, at the event. These include The Weeknd: After Hours Nightmare, Universal Horror Hotel, Halloween, La Llorona: The Weeping Woman, Terror Tram, The Horrors of Blumhouse, Universal Monsters: Legends Collide, Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Scarecrow: The Reaping.

Before going to Horror Nights, you have to buy tickets, and you can usually buy them online since it is much easier than buying them in person. This is useful, because you don’t have to wait and see that it’s already been sold out if you wait to buy your tickets at the box office. The tickets range in price from $80 to $500, and each ticket offers you a different experience. 

There is the general admission ticket, which is what Erica bought. This ticket is way cheaper, depending on the day you attend. However, the downside is that you have to wait in very long lines, which may take up your whole evening. 

With the general admission ticket, Erica was only able to go through four mazes. Lines felt like they were never-ending and it was really annoying since Erica had to wait and stand in line forever, which made her legs, knees, and feet hurt. 

Another downside of the general admission ticket is that wait times are also very long for the other rides that are open. Therefore, you should not waste your time going on that many of those rides, since it can also take the whole experience away from you. Overall, Erica had fun at Horror Nights, even though she only got through four mazes, because all the mazes were worth the wait.

The second ticket they sell is the Express Ticket, which is the one that Aniella purchased for Horror Nights. This ticket gives you access to the front of the line of each attraction, one time each. This was amazing, and it helped tremendously with lines that have a wait time of over two hours. 

Aniella was able to get all eight mazes done in one visit, and she was even able to go on some of the other rides that were open. The lines looked insanely long, especially since she attended on a sold-out date. The Express Ticket really allows you to receive the whole Horror Nights experience.

People go to Horror Nights to be scared with their friends, and Universal Studios Hollywood does not disappoint. If you have the chance to go to Halloween Horror Nights, you should just go, because it is an experience not worth missing! However, just be aware of what you’re getting into based on the ticket you purchase. Stay spooky, Nitros!

About the Contributors
Aniella Pieprzyca
Aniella Pieprzyca, Editor-in-Chief
Aniella is a junior at Glendale High School. She is on the track team and is very excited to compete this year. In her free time, she likes going to concerts, watching Netflix, and hanging out with her friends. She is also very excited for journalism this year.
Erica Mae Valdellon
Erica Mae Valdellon, Spotlight Editor
Erica is a senior at Glendale High School. She is on the varsity track team and a member of the culinary program. She enjoys going to the beach and exploring nature. She loves playing the piano and loves drinking boba (favorite drink: strawberry matcha). She is willing to give it her all this year. She is interested in majoring in nursing next year and hopes that her last year ay GHS will go well. She’s looking forward to making new friends and establishing bonds before she graduates.