Outer Banks, Season 3

OBX fans, are you prepared for an exploration of the treasure that lies beneath the surface?

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

The Netflix streaming series Outer Banks was first released in 2020, and it was created by Josh and Jonas Pate. Each of the three available seasons has ten episodes, each lasting an hour in length, and the third season came out in February of 2023. The first two seasons are interconnected, following an exploration to find missing gold, but it ends up being stolen by one of the four teenagers’ families. And I have to warn you that Season 3 consists of a lot of deaths, murders, and romantic drama. (So please don’t watch if you are sensitive to these topics; yes, even the romantic drama!)

At the beginning of Season 3, we are introduced to the teenagers who have been stranded on an island for a month, because of the incident that occurred at the end of the previous season. However, they manage to signal someone to help rescue them, but as soon as they get off the island, chaos erupts! 

So much intensity is built into the first episode already!

The overarching storyline of Season 3 is definitely something that I did not expect from this series. Unlike the first two seasons, I was pretty familiar with what was going on, and I was able to catch up and understand the plot line. But this latest season features a lot of heartwarming reunions, but also a lot of unexpected deaths, so it is truly a rollercoaster ride.

My two favorite characters on the show are JJ (Rudy Pankow) and Kiara (Madison Bailey), because of how far their characters have developed over time. However, Sarah Cameron (Madelyn Cline) is an absolute disappointment by the middle of the season. I did not like her character, because she has manipulated her own feelings to like Topper, and she is not honest with John B. about it. To be honest, Topper (Austin North) deserves better than her, because he is trying to become a better person, but I never liked his character after he set John B’s house on fire.

The new character of Cleo (Carlacia Grant), to whom we were introduced at the end of Season 2, is amazing in Season 3. She sets an example, and honestly, she deserves more recognition. People should’ve listened to her this season. 

However, Pope (played by J.D.) is there next to Cleo the whole entire time, and his character does not disappoint. I felt bad when he loses everything he desired after all of the teenagers are presumed “missing” at the end of Season 2. 

WAIT, THAT’S NOT ALL! OH MY GOODNESS, I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT BIG JOHN!

I was shocked to find that he is stillnalive, and the reunion he has with his son,  John B, is so heartwarming. The memories come crashing down on you, especially how he would call his son in with the bell, and how he would show him what he discovered on his explorations.

BUT, one thing that I DID NOT like about Season 3 is Mr. Singh (Andy McQueen). I know that he’s supposed to be the bad guy, but he and his bodyguards are the most annoying people this season. Assuming that they are so important to the main storyline leading up to the end, I’m thankful that there are finally consequences for Mr. Singh. I’ll be so annoyed if he comes back alive, because then I swear that I’ll stop watching this show.

One last person that we can’t forget about is Rafe (Drew Starkey). He will remain my most hated character on this show, because of how stuck-up and crazy he is (just like his father, Ward). I thought my mind would change about these characters, but it did not. In the end, I was disappointed but happy with the final outcome, but I’ll leave the rest as a surprise for people reading this.

Overall, this third season is for sure a must-watch, since we get to watch beautiful people go on another exploration to find something shiny. The production overall is wonderful, and I felt like I was a part of the show, exploring, running from the bad guys, and searching for the treasure, along with the characters. 

If you haven’t watched the first two seasons of Outer Banks, what are you even doing?! You’re missing out on something huge! 

However, if you aren’t into this kind of thing, try watching Blood and Treasure, Panic, or The Wilds instead. These shows will surely get you in the mood for what you will expect in Outer Banks

Oh! And they just announced OBX is renewed for Season 4! I can’t wait for next season! P4L!

Erica Mae Valdellon
Erica Mae Valdellon, Spotlight Editor
Erica is a senior at Glendale High School. She is on the varsity track team and a member of the culinary program. She enjoys going to the beach and exploring nature. She loves playing the piano and loves drinking boba (favorite drink: strawberry matcha). She is willing to give it her all this year. She is interested in majoring in nursing next year and hopes that her last year ay GHS will go well. She’s looking forward to making new friends and establishing bonds before she graduates.