Dying Light 2

Good night and good luck

Dying Light 2 is the highly anticipated parkour zombie game, especially after the major success with the first game, Dying Light. Techland, the game’s developers, had previously created a well-known game known as Dead Island. These all may be zombie games, but Dying Light is different from the rest, because it is so unique. 

Dying Light was released on January 26, 2015, and millions of players logged on at Day One because of the hype from the trailers. The game did not disappoint, and it even exceeded our expectations. Although there were flaws in the first game, such as the plot, some bugs and a lack of content, Techland is known for making games better over time. 

Dying Light did something hardly any other games do, which is the addition of parkour. Developers don’t really dive into parkour anymore, but Techland implemented it wonderfully.

Dying Light 2 starts off fifteen years after The Fall, which occurred because the Global Relief Effort had attempted to weaponize the Harran Virus for military purposes. You play as a character named Aiden Caldwell, who is a Pilgrim, a person who explores the world. 

Aiden is searching for his long-lost sister, and a friend of his, named Spike, tells him about the last city called Vilador. The infected have now evolved over the last decade and a half, and there are new and interesting infected that you will encounter. 

During the day, the infected are inside sleeping, since they are affected by the UV rays from the sun. However, during the nighttime, all hell is let loose. Thousands of the infected are now on the streets, and there are all types of them. 

The howlers are screamers who alert the infected to begin a chase. Each time the chase levels up, it gets much more difficult. The level-three chase is when the Volatiles come out, and they are the most powerful and quickest of them all. It is as if all the types of infected have been put into one body. 

The night experience has drastically changed from the first game to the second one. Volatiles used to walk the street in the first game, which made it terrifying to go outside. When a Volatile saw you, it would cause a chase with four tiers. In the second game, there are now infected named Howlers, which scream at the player to cause a chase. The tier system has been carried over to the second game, but it is a disappointment that the night has lost its fear factor.

Techland has advertised the game to be heavy on the storytelling, and the choices that you make change your overall experience. In each conversation, you get to choose what Aiden says, and sometimes it can affect the story of the world around you. 

There are three factions in the game: the peacekeepers, the survivors, and one other faction that I do not want to spoil. You get to choose which faction you would like to support, and each time you support one of the factions, you get a benefit. For example, if you support the survivors, you get more parkour routes, and if you go for the peacekeepers, you can receive traps for the infected.

Dying Light 2 may have had a rocky start, but Techland will no doubt make this game legendary over time. The story may not be the best, but the gameplay makes up for it. This is a must play, and if you have the chance, you should also play the original game as well. As always, Nitros, Good Night and Good Luck.

Diego Guzman
Diego Guzman, Staff Writer
Diego is a senior at Glendale High School. He enjoys astronomy, watching anime, listening to music, making and playing music, and playing video games.