Milan Bugarin Throws with His Heart

Varsity pitching ace sees a great future for GHS baseball!

Milan Bugarin is a 17-year-old senior attending Glendale High School, and he is the starting pitcher for the GHS varsity baseball team. Milan was born in Burbank and has lived in Glendale all his life. His hobbies include getting better at baseball, working out, and spending time with his family.

How did you first get involved with baseball?

Since the first time I played catch with my dad, I knew this was the sport for me. I would watch all the games on TV, and baseball would always catch my attention the most. I would beg my dad to play catch with me, always being anxious to play the sport I loved.

What was it about baseball that interested you the most?

I have always had fun playing baseball. Something about baseball just makes me so happy. I will never get tired of playing baseball. Pitching, my main position, is what interests me the most, without a doubt.

What happens during team practices?

We normally do batting practice and defensive drills most days. Our pitchers also work in the bullpen to improve on their technique. We also work on our chemistry as a team, knowing that the better our chemistry is, the better we are. We are training for a great season.

What is your favorite part of being on the team?

My favorite part of being on the team is playing ball with my boys. We all have the same goal and that is to make it into the CIF Playoffs. I also love the energy my teammates have during our games. It is a big confidence booster.

What is the hardest part of being a part of the team?

Being a leader is pretty hard, in my opinion. At times, I have to be hard on my teammates to get in line and focused again. The competitiveness is also quite difficult. We have to train hard to earn our starting spot. It is not just given to us. 

How do you feel about the future of the team?

I feel pretty good about our future with this team. We have many great freshmen, so with the proper training and development, we should have a great team in the near future. I am excited to see what the future of Glendale High baseball will bring.

What hopes or specific goals do you have for the team this year?

I really hope we can make the playoffs and make a far run in [the] CIF. Another hope will be having good placement in our league. We have a great record as of now, and I believe it will stay great.

Where do you see yourself in the future after you leave GHS?

I see myself playing college baseball at Cal Lutheran. I really enjoy the program there and the campus is beautiful. That is my main goal after I graduate.

If you are interested in being a part of the GHS baseball team next season, please contact Coach Whithorne at [email protected].

Jonathan Bermudez, Staff Writer
Jonathan is a senior at Glendale High School. He is a member of the varsity soccer team and a student in the Construction Academy. He enjoys watching movies, playing soccer, and spending time with his friends and loved ones.