Shutter Island

Expect the unexpected
Shutter+Island

Shutter Island, directed by Martin Scorsese, is a psychological thriller that will always make you think and keep you on your toes. The movie was released in 2010 and has some big-name actors, such as Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo

This movie is one of the greatest ever made, and it will continuously make you want to know what is coming next. The main focus of the film is mental illness, mostly involving the criminally insane, and psychopathy.

The movie begins with gloomy music as soon as you press play. A large marshal boat is going through the misty air, as a US marshal named Teddy Daniels (DiCaprio) is going through sea sickness. He and his partner Chuck Aule (Ruffalo) have been sent to a mental hospital on a remote island to investigate a missing patient.

Teddy has no clue what he has gotten himself into. The setting sets him off from the very beginning. The marshals have a lot to take in, especially this being their first time working together.

Teddy has flashbacks of his traumas from World War II and from the death of his wife. The methods used by the workers at this institution trigger his past traumas, and the flashbacks continuously chip away at his reality.

The story comes down to how this woman has managed to escape. Teddy and Chuck interrogate everyone they can, hoping to find any small clues or details to help their search.

The island is cold and stormy, and the atmosphere is depressing and dark. This complements the story perfectly, setting up a conclusion for all its glory.

The plot slowly reveals a series of amazing details that aid Teddy’s search. He eventually starts believing that more sinister things are going on at this hospital. With no way off the island, due to horrible storms, the two marshals push onward to figure out how to bring down this corrupt institution. 

The baffling ending of this movie will have you questioning everything you have seen before. You will then want to keep coming back again to watch it all play out over and over.

Before watching this movie, I thought it was just going to be a simple detective movie, but little did I know what a ride I was in for. My expectations were completely blown away after I watched it.

Overall, Shutter Island brings awareness to mental illness and what it can do to people. I would recommend this movie to anyone who loves thrillers and suspenseful movies. 

And if you enjoy this movie, you may also like Tenet and Inception, two other films that toy with your concept of reality.

Jonathan Bermudez, Staff Writer
Jonathan is a senior at Glendale High School. He is a member of the varsity soccer team and a student in the Construction Academy. He enjoys watching movies, playing soccer, and spending time with his friends and loved ones.