Kickin’ It with Sammi Cruz

GHS soccer captain brings her MVP experience to the field

Leslie “Sammi” Cruz is a 17-year-old senior at Clark Magnet High School, but she is also the captain of the Glendale High School girls varsity soccer team. She was born in Glendale, and she likes reading poetry, going to the gym, and coaching cheerleading. Her favorite poetry book is Heart Talk by Cleo Wade. 

How did you first get involved in playing soccer?

My dad got me playing ever since I was five. The first club team I have played for [had] been a club of all boys. But here at Glendale High is probably my first all-girl team. Recently, too, I have joined an all-girls club, but I just practice and enjoy the time playing soccer and exercising. So in total, I have been playing for twelve years. 

What are some of the honors or accomplishments you have earned as part of this team?

My biggest achievement is being on varsity since my freshman year. I have also been selected as defensive MVP my sophomore year, which made me feel very proud of myself. Through all those four years, I have been doing my best and giving it my all, because it’s what helps me. Then finally, being captain my senior year just makes me feel accomplished. 

How and why did you become a captain?

I feel as if I became a captain, because I’m a good leader and role model. Despite my being a senior, I try to push my teammates to better themselves, on and off of the field. We work hard, and I also got to make sure they are in line and following our coaches’ instructions. I try my hardest on that field, as well as my teammates. This might be my last year, but I try to make memories and have fun with the team.

What happens during your team practices?

We are all friends and teammates on that field. We have fun, laugh, and joke around, because we’re all just trying to have fun, as well as working hard. But when it’s time to work, we put all the jokes aside and go play. We work hard  together and focus on how we have to work as a team. But most importantly, we just try to have the best time on that field. 

What is your favorite part of being a member of the team?

My favorite part of being on this team is making new connections with my teammates and helping them be more comfortable with the team. But most of all, my favorite part is that my teammates aren’t just teammates; they are my friends. We can laugh and joke and be able to feel comfortable. Also wins are different when you know you played with a team you love. It feels amazing. 

So far, the soccer team has been doing great preparing for their upcoming season. They are all working hard as always. We are glad to have Sammi on our team and a part of the Nitro community. So stay tuned for when the girls have their first soccer game, and come on down to Moyse Stadium this winter and cheer them on. 

Jo Lucio
Jo Lucio, Staff Writer
Jo is a junior at Glendale High School. He plays center mid for the varsity soccer team. In his free time, he likes driving, watching Hulu, and eating.