Daymaris Arca Plays LAX to the MAX!

Daymaris Arca Naranjo is an 18-year-old senior at Glendale High School and she was born in Cuba. She likes working out and traveling, and she says that her favorite place that she has visited was the Caribbean Islands. 

At school, Daymaris is a part of the girls lacrosse team and she is also involved in ASB. Daymaris says that she has been playing lacrosse since seventh grade, when her mom’s best friend was coaching the middle school’s team. Unlike other sports teams at GHS, Daymaris says that there are no team captains for lacrosse and this year, and Coach Joe Campbell combined the JV and varsity teams into one team. 

Before the pandemic hit last year, Daymaris says that the lacrosse teams were able to play two games for the 2019-2020 season. This year, they have been playing more games, but Daymaris claims that they had a rough start. 

She explains that they couldn’t condition as much as they did before, and they weren’t “used to playing for long periods of time.” But now, she says that the team is doing much better and they have been winning a few games. 

Daymaris shares that the best part about being on the lacrosse team is having Coach Campbell as their coach. She says that he always wants his players to have fun during the games and not really “care about winning or losing.” 

The 2021 girls varsity lacrosse squad

Daymaris also shares that her favorite memory of being on the team is winning the Pacific League Championship games during her sophomore year. She recalls how all the players jumped into our school’s pool after sharing a victory win against Crescenta Valley High School.

If any underclassmen is looking for a team “that cares more about you than your mistakes”, Daymaris thinks that the lacrosse team is “one of the best sports” on campus to join. She expresses that being on the team teaches you how to love a sport and focus on becoming a better team player every time. 

After high school, Daymaris plans on attending community college to explore the different majors that are offered. She says that she doesn’t want to feel miserable as an adult, and she wants to make sure that the career she chooses is something that suits her well. 

So far, we have been hearing great things about this year’s lacrosse season and hopefully these players can finish their season off strong. Once again, if any underclassmen would like to join our school’s lacrosse teams, please feel free to contact Coach Joe Campbell at [email protected].

Lauren Claire Avelino
Lauren Claire Avelino, Editor-in-Chief
Lauren Claire is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the president of the Best Buddies Club and is a Nitro Crew leader. She enjoys reading and writing, listening to music, and spending time with her family.