Daniel Villela Will Lead GHS Baseball to Victory

One of Glendale baseball’s prime players, Daniel Villela, has been promoted to the position of captain this year. In the midst of a hectic and traumatic year, Daniel has kept his head high and looks forward to playing his senior year. Our varsity captain’s motivations and values hold a special place in his life.

Daniel was born and raised in Glendale, California. He is now sixteen years old and enjoys hanging out with friends and family, playing video games, and exercising, preferably through hiking. 

Daniel’s father first introduced him to the sport of baseball when he was four years old. His father taught him everything he knows, and to this day, Daniel is developing and evolving his skills. 

Daniel’s favorite part about playing baseball is the competitive nature of the sport, which makes it more enjoyable to play. However, a tragic event still hovers over his love for the game. At the age of nine, Daniel learned that his coach, Mickey, had passed away. His passing affected all the younger players around him.

In recent history, the most memorable part of Daniel’s high school career was being promoted to start on the varsity team as a freshman. He wasn’t sure if this would be possible at such a young age, but his hard work and dedication pulled him through. Daniel’s greatest accomplishment came while he was in elementary school, when he won the tri-city tournament between Glendale, Burbank, and Crescenta Valley.

Eleven years later, Daniel is still playing with the same players that were on that tournament-winning team. This season, he is hoping that all of our current players will be able to “develop their skills even more for next season,” especially if there are no games allowed this year. Before Daniel leaves Glendale High School, he wants to make the playoffs and to reestablish the meaning of being a GHS athlete: a winner.

After graduation, similarly to other serious high school athletes, Daniel wants to continue to play baseball at the collegiate level. Wherever he plays, he hopes to “take a championship back home”. 

Ultimately, if Glendale High School doesn’t get the opportunity to play baseball this year, Daniel is planning to make a comeback for his senior year. Coach Marcus Whithorne is willing to put up a winning concept, but the players need to follow through with his protocols. Our baseball team is scheduled to play their first game against John Muir High School on April 13, so here’s hoping that our boys can get back on the diamond!

Keirson Florita
Keirson Florita, Staff Writer
Keirson is a junior at Glendale High School. He is a member of the GHS football team, and he enjoys watching anime, playing video games, and cycling.