Stephanie Montes Is Always in Fashion

Stephanie Montes, a senior here at Glendale High School, is bringing her ideas to FIDM Fashion Club as the new president. Stephanie has a great love for fashion, along with dance and spirituality. Finally pursuing her passion, she joined the club last year and enjoyed it so much that she developed her own vision for the club’s future, which empowered her to “take ahead” and become president. 

Stephanie has harbored an interest in fashion ever since she was a child, and she even used to make little dresses for her Barbie dolls. However, as a child, she hadn’t had many chances to further pursue this interest, because “no one took me seriously.” She feels that Fashion Club “really gave the opportunity to open that [interest] up again, because it had been shut down as a kid.”

Upon getting back into fashion, Stephanie has created many impressive pieces. She’s made her own bucket hats, skirts, t-shirts and more. One of her favorite pieces has been a two-piece shirt and skirt that she sewed together out of an old pillow mattress. She is even learning to make a dress from scratch.

Stephanie has a great deal of plans for Fashion Club. She has admitted that covid-19 has been a huge setback for her initial plans, but it is not going to stop her from achieving her vision. Before the pandemic, the club had regular meetings where members constantly completed projects and even had little competitions. Stephanie even stated that it “felt more like an art club,” based on how many exciting fashion projects they completed. 

Stephanie is determined to ensure that Fashion Club members this year do not miss out on the experiences that furthered her interest in fashion. She is planning on not only teaching her members how to sew, embroider, and crochet, but she is also planning on having hands-on experiences for her club members. Stephanie plans on making small kits for her members, that would include everything a student may need for a particular fashion project. 

There could be no one better for the position of FIDM Fashion Club president. Stephanie’s passion for this art is apparent in the way she speaks about it, having said that she wants “others to have the opportunity to really get into fashion and understand it.” Her driven nature is inspiring, almost infectious, and it will surely carry over in her future as she pursues a career in the fashion industry. 

If you are interested in more information on joining Fashion Club, please contact the club advisor, Ms. Tumanyan, at [email protected].

Angela Ter-Martirosyan
Angela Ter-Martirosyan, Reviews Editor
Angela is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the secretary of the Armenian Club and a member of the journalism and cinematography programs. She enjoys writing, playing video games, and reading.