• May 31The Black Team defeats the Pink Team, 41-7, in the 2024 Powderpuff Football Game!
  • May 24Senior Lilit Arakelyan wins the 2024 Pat Navalonic Memorial Award! Lilit will be attending UCLA in the fall!
  • May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins the 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Save Your Face, Nitros!

Which homemade skincare recipe is best for you?
What a waste of money!

Skin is an important part of a person’s appearance, and taking care of it is so important! The skincare process can be difficult and expensive at times, but there are some homemade recipes that will keep your skin hydrated and glowing and give you an even skin tone. I have tried many of these recipes for myself, and many of them have given me visible results after I’ve been using them for a short time. 

There are different problems people face with their skin. They may feel insecure because of acne, pores, blackheads, or scars. But the following skincare recipes are my personal favorites. (And please be aware that what has worked for me, may not work for everyone.)

For glowy skin, honey is the key ingredient for all these mixtures. Start off with boiling about ¼ cup of rice, and leave some water in the bowl with the rice. While the rice is coming to a boil, add about a tablespoon, or so, of raw honey into a blender, and then pour the rice into the blender after it is done cooking. 

Blend this mixture until it reaches a puree consistency, and then apply it to your face for fifteen minutes, at least twice a week. This will get rid of dark spots, minimize pores and give a glowy look to your face. 

Another recommendation is a thicker face cream. This recipe consists of aloe vera, rice flour and water. Aloe vera has many benefits for the face and the body

Be careful with this first step: cut the aloe vera in half and scoop out the gel into a bowl. Next add two or three tablespoons of rice flour, depending on the amount of aloe vera. So essentially, it’s best to eye-ball this step and add some room temperature water and to the mix. Once your mixture has reached a thick, creamy consistency, apply it to your face for about ten minutes, one or two times a week, for an effective cleanse and glow. 

Another problem I have faced has been my dark under-eyes. Store-bought under-eye creams are extremely expensive for such a little amount of product. 

Instead, go ahead and grab some coffee grounds, honey and lemon. In a bowl, add two tablespoons of coffee and one tablespoon of honey. Squeeze a little bit of lemon into the mixture, and apply it to the area under your eyes for fifteen minutes. You should then clean it off with cotton pads. 

And this final recipe is to even out your skin tone. Add two tablespoons of rice flour into a bowl, along with two tablespoons of plain yogurt and one teaspoon of honey, and then stir them all together. The mixture should have a gel-like consistency. Apply the mixture to your face for fifteen minutes and wash off with cold water. Repeat this process two more times per week.

There are many different types of effective homemade skincare recipes, but these are some of my favorites, because they are simple to make and show results after only a couple times of use. Go ahead and give these a try and let me know how it goes!

Stay beautiful, Nitros!

Anahit Sargsyan
Anahit Sargsyan, Reviews Editor
Anahit is a senior at Glendale High School, and she will be graduating this year. She loves to spend time with her family and her best friends. She also loves to chill at home and just have a relaxing time every once in a while. Music, movies and tennis are her favorite things to do, and she can't wait to see what the future holds.