The Equalizer 3

Denzel makes a comeback to the Equalizer series

The Equalizer movies are very well known internationally, and they have finally won over the crowds with a third movie. Denzel Washington, the star of the movie, has been in the film industry for years, always starring in dramas and thrillers. Dakota Fanning and Eugenio Mastrandrea, also very well known actors, take the movie to another level. The director, Antoine Fuqua, has been directing all of The Equalizer movies and has not disappointed this time in the slightest. This film was originally postponed for a year, due to COVID-19, but it was finally released in late 2023.

This film series follows Robert (Washington), a former government assassin, who has faced problems with many people that use their power and money to do harm towards others. Robert is both physically and mentally strong, and he’s capable of standing up for others and for what’s right. At first, Robert is able to put aside his past, keeping it hidden, and hoping to have a quiet little life for himself. 

In the first movie, Robert starts off driving a taxi, but his life changes when he meets Teri (Chloë Grace Moretz), a teen who had been assaulted by a few Russian mobsters. But Robert can’t let go of the problem. 

After taking Teri to the hospital, he comes back to the apartment and physically assaults the mobsters, leaving them to think about their actions. From that moment on, Robert becomes in some way a “hero,”  by helping the helpless who are taken advantage of. 

At the start of this third movie, Robert makes his way home to southern Italy, hoping to finally have a quiet life for himself. He decides to meet his old friends, only to find out that they are working for powerful crime bosses and cannot leave. 

Going through many difficult journeys, Robert helps his friends be freed from control, and he takes it upon himself to become a  mafia leader himself. At the end, Robert does find the peace that he has been fighting his entire life to achieve. 

The star of this movie, Denzel Washington, is an amazing actor, who has reached many accomplishments in his decades of acting. Starring in many films, he has won two Oscars, and he is still going strong in his career. Washington is well known for his roles in Training Day, Malcolm X, and The Book of Eli

The filmmaking here is very beautifully crafted. All the characters and scenes are delivered to the screen amazingly, and no scene is too much or little. 

The movie takes place in Italy, and that’s exactly where the film was shot. Having the movie produced in Italy makes the background look real and absolutely beautiful. 

The last scene, where Robert feels finally at peace, was filmed in Rome, Italy, and it is the most stunning part of the entire movie. Antoine Fuqua truly shows his directing skills here.

Personally, this movie was well worth the wait and the watch. All of the characters really show their talent, especially Denzel Washington. 

However, it is important to watch both The Equalizer and The Equalizer 2, before watching The Equalizer 3, in order to understand what’s happening throughout the movie. Also, if this is a movie you enjoy watching, then you should also check out Nobody.

Anahit Sargsyan
Anahit Sargsyan, Reviews Editor
Anahit is a senior at Glendale High School, and she will be graduating this year. She loves to spend time with her family and her best friends. She also loves to chill at home and just have a relaxing time every once in a while. Music, movies and tennis are her favorite things to do, and she can't wait to see what the future holds.