The World Is Angry, Absurd and Filled With Stardust, Birdbath

This lo-fi indie album is the perfect cure for your stressful day.

Birdbath is an independent, one-man band from Omaha, Nebraska that gained popularity in 2020. But before that year, the band had released a few EP’s and albums, including Strawberri, Ladyhawke and I Hate Myself and Everything I Stand for. These EP’s can only be heard through SoundCloud, Bandcamp or YouTube.  

Birdbath eventually fell off the face of the earth after 2021 and has only made two albums since that year. The artist also goes under the name Gjallarhonrit, with more of a folk-sort-of-tune to his music. 

On one of his EP’s, Birdbath features Gezebelle Gaburgably on the song “Morning Star”. Gezebelle is another one-person band, and she resides in Florida. She makes colorful music for anyone to listen to, and she has an amazing voice. 

After his two releases, Birdbath was signed to a group called MKULTRA SUPPORT GROUP, which was formed by Negative XP. This group features a multitude of different artists and genres. This was around late 2019 and early 2021, which is unfortunate because there were so many talented artists that had potential, but left the scene before then, like Sodaboy64, Hard Christ, Anhero, Crustsox and Pacific Purgatory.  

Birdbath released The World Is Angry, Absurd and Filled with Stardust in 2020, and it is hands-down one of the best lo-fi indie albums I have ever heard. It really captures certain elements of nature, and it flows so well, especially if you want an easy listen to help you to relax and calm down a little. 

This album sounds dreamy, almost like Elliott Smith’s album, Figure 8, which was released in 2000. The guitar really gives it a unique sound, especially when you listen to it thoroughly. 

The first song on the album is called “endless bummer”, and it is perfect how this song flows. It takes some aspects from the band Teen Suicide, whose influence and melodies can be found in other tracks on this album. 

“necrobabes” is the second song on the album, and I find this song to be pretty interesting, with its dreamy vocals and drums. This song is uniquely different from the other songs on the album. 

i won’t forget you when i’m famous” is another great song off the album. Everything about it is absolutely perfect, and it sounds like a dream. While listening to this track, you can imagine yourself as a kid, running around in a large field of grass, somewhere in the Midwest, having the best time of your life and enjoying your youth. 

“everything will be okay in the end” is the fourth song off the album, and it deals with loneliness. It captures the feeling of being locked away in your own home, confined to only yourself and isolated from everybody. This song perfectly portrays the act of dealing with someone that you truly and ultimately love, but in the end it doesn’t ever work out. 

“blood ritual” is the second-best song on this album, because it sounds so amazing. The added bass and mix of synthesizers is terrific, and it brings the whole song together. This track is all about wanting to fit in and be normal and happy, and this is shown in the way that Birdbath constantly repeats this sentiment throughout the song. The song seems to contend that everyone may want to fit in and be normal, but nobody can truly define what it is to be normal in the first place.  

In the end, the absolute best track on the album is “waiting for the inevitable societal collapse (so i can finally be a true pagan)”. This song has a little resemblance to Radiohead’s classic hit “No Surprises”, and it will remind you of their album A Moon Shaped Pool. This song feels as if you are traveling through the stars while sleeping. The sound is calm and soothing, making it easy to relax and let your stress fade away. This track captures the bittersweet childhood memories that you always carry with you, like playing in the yard or exploring a small forest by your house. The use of the different elements and sounds of nature are perfect for a song like this. 

Ultimately, you should definitely give The World Is Angry, Absurd and Filled with Stardust a try, especially if you need to chill out after a stressful day at school. This album really captures those bittersweet old childhood memories, and it turns them into beautiful melodies for anyone to enjoy. It will remind you of playing during the hot summer months, running around in the leaves during the autumn or enjoying the cold as the winter approaches you.  

And if you like this album, make sure to also check out Peachy Peach and The Fridge.

Alex De La Garza
Alex De La Garza, Staff Writer
Alex is a senior at Glendale High School, and this is his third year as a part of Nitro Press. He is also in the culinary program. He enjoys collecting vinyls, exploring, and listening to music, especially hardcore and punk.