Fallen Angels

This Japanese assassin movie is a killer!
Fallen+Angels

Fallen Angels is a 1995 Japanese film directed by Wong Kar-Wai, an amazing screenwriter and director. Some of his most successful films include Chungking Express and Days of Being Wild. Both films were critically-acclaimed upon their release, with Chungking Express being Wong’s most popular film. 

Fallen Angels is a film that follows an assassin into the underground world in Japan and the woman who has taken a liking to him. A subplot of this film involves a man named He Zhiwu, who does not speak once throughout the entire film. Instead, he speaks through a narrator’s voice over the film’s soundtrack. This engrains a sense of mystery within the viewer as to why this character is silent. He Zhiwu acts in strange ways throughout the film, and the viewer will be intrigued by his mannerisms, how he perceives others, and how he has a strong, powerful force over the other characters. 

Fallen Angels starts off with the main character of the film, Wong Chi-Ming, an assassin who is sitting with his agent or “partner” in a black and white grainy filter. This is a great opening to the film, and it sets the main character as mysterious and not very much is known about him at the beginning. 

Personally, I like how Wong Chi-Ming is portrayed in the beginning of the film and how his assistant starts to fall in love with him, just as the other sub plot characters do. The first opening scene is a woman who is working for a contract killer is seen smoking a cigarette and looks visibly anxious and is probably in shock, asking her business partner about their relationship. Another early scene shows an assassin carrying out a hit at a hair salon. We are not told why these people are killed and what the reasoning is behind their murders. 

Some of the shots in this movie are amazing, including the scenes that take place on a motorcycle. It all shows how much planning and time went into these specific scenes. 

Also the music they use for certain scenes is great. However, the one song in particular that really ties it all together in the credits is “Only You” by The Flying Pickles. 

Fallen Angels show us what it feels like to be in love, and it ultimately teaches us that it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. 

If you enjoy this movie, you should also check out these other films: Manchester by the Sea and As Tears Go By.

Alex De La Garza
Alex De La Garza, Staff Writer
Alex is a senior at Glendale High School, and this is his third year as a part of Nitro Press. He is also in the culinary program. He enjoys collecting vinyls, exploring, and listening to music, especially hardcore and punk.