• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

The House Is Burning, Isaiah Rashad

This underrated album is a hidden treasure.

The House Is Burning is the second studio album from Isaiah Rashad, and it was released on July 30th, 2021. This album features elements of rap, R&B, jazz, and indie music, all being mixed into one.  It all gives for a one-of-a-kind listen, with elements that haven’t been explored by many other artists.

“RIP Young” is a very catchy track, with a laid back beat. In this song, Rashad is rapping about the struggles that he faced growing up, in order to highlight the issues of poverty and violence that were a part of his upbringing. He applies an emotional and raw spin to his rapping that resonates with many listeners, due to the lyrics and the tone of the song.

“Hey Mista” is a powerful track, with a mesmerizing beat. This song highlights Rashad’s ability to combine his storytelling and lyrics, with his incredible rapping ability and production. This track never fails to captivate the listener, especially if you’re like me and are a sucker for relaxed beats.

“Headshots”  is one of the bigger hits off the album. This track has a very smooth and pleasant feel that dives into Rashad’s personal life and gives us an inside view of the struggles that he has gone through. His flow throughout the whole song provides a listening experience that is unlike any others.

“Score (feat. SZA & 6LACK)” is the best track on this record. The collaboration with these two artists was a genius decision, with the voices of SZA and 6LACKS perfectly complimenting Rashad’s unique rapping style. The addition of an upbeat, groovy vibe makes this a flawless track and a favorite for many.

In the end, The House Is Burning is definitely worth a listen, especially if you’re looking for something new and refreshing to add to your playlist

And if you like this album, I would also recommend listening to the music of Smino, Saba, and Mick Jenkins.

Jonathan Hernandez
Jonathan Hernandez, Staff Writer
Jonathan is a junior at Glendale high school. He enjoys playing video games and soccer, listening to music and hanging out with friends. He also enjoys traveling with his family.