UTOPIA, Travis Scott

This artist’s long awaited album is finally out!
UTOPIA, Travis Scott

UTOPIA is Travis Scott’s newest album, and it is one of his best. It’s primarily a rap album, with some elements of psychedelic rock, and it was released on July 18th, 2023. It was instantly a massive hit, due to people wanting more from Scott, because of his previous album ASTROWORLD, which was nominated for the Grammy for Best Rap Album in 2019.

In UTOPIA, Travis Scott takes a slightly different approach in his way of making music. With heavy inspiration from Kanye West on many tracks, and collaborations with top artists, such as Drake, Bad Bunny, The Weeknd, SZA, and more, this album was destined for success.

“I KNOW ?” is the most played track on the album, and with its catchy lyrics and upbeat tone, I can definitely see why. In this song, Scott is talking about how the media has judged him for the bad choices he has made in the past, and he acknowledges this clearly, with the phrase “I know” repeated throughout the song.

“MELTDOWN (feat. Drake)” is the second most popular song on the album. On this track, Travis and Drake go back and forth about their dominance over the rap and music industry, calling back to their hit song “SICKO MODE”, which has broken many records. The dynamic between these two legends is indisputably one of the best, especially when it comes to these kinds of collabs. The beat switch, production, and hype tone are all what make this track one of the best.

“TELEKINESIS (feat. SZA & Future)” is another fan favorite. The laid-back tone, the top-notch production, and the amazing vocals by all three artists on this track, all create such a unique feel that gives you goosebumps every time you listen. This song was actually produced by Kanye West, and it was supposed to be released on his album Donda. However, West decided not to include this track on his album, which is why he gave it to Travis Scott.

In the end, “MY EYES” is my personal favorite track on UTOPIA. The first half of the song has a very mellow beat switch, but then it has one of the best transitions I have ever heard in a song. 

The second half on the track is very upbeat, but it still follows the elements from the beat we hear beforehand. This song shows Scott’s feelings of emptiness, even though he is so successful. It calls back to an interview that Scott gave with his ex-girlfriend, when he raps, “All that green and yellow that drip from your eyes.” In the interview, she had asked Scott what color her eyes were, and he responded, “They’re green, sometimes yellow,” which made her really happy.

Ultimately, UTOPIA is easily one of the best albums that is out right now, and it is definitely worth your time. Go stream it right now! 

And if you enjoy this album, I would recommend that you listen to Kid Cudi and JPEGMAFIA.

Jonathan Hernandez
Jonathan Hernandez, Staff Writer
Jonathan is a junior at Glendale high school. He enjoys playing video games and soccer, listening to music and hanging out with friends. He also enjoys traveling with his family.