Aniyah Dumas Got Out of Her Comfort Zone

Drill team head captain is finally stepping into the spotlight

Aniyah Dumas was that person who would normally stay in their comfort zone.

Aniyah is a senior, who was born in the Philippines and moved to the United States when she was six years old. She spends most of her time dancing, and after being on the drill team for four years, she is now the head captain.

Aniyah joined the GHS drill team after watching a K-pop video. She wanted to be able to dance like how her K-pop idols do.

At first, Aniyah was a very shy and timid person. There would be times when she felt as if she should quit. However, she decided not to be a person who quits easily.

For Aniyah, one of the best parts about being a part of the drill team is the sense of accomplishment and community you feel after being together, training together, and traveling together, from place-to-place after such a long time.  After four years of being a leader, you can easily go from being a driven team member, to being named head captain, like Aniyah.

Aniyah feels that dancing can help you find who you are. If not for her teammates, Aniyah would have stayed on her shelf, feeling self-conscious, and stuck in a bubble.

Aniyah Dumas (front row, center) and her drill team family.

Aniyah wants people to know how important it is to explore areas outside their comfort zone. She hopes that they learn about themselves and about other people, and live life to the fullest.

As long as you can put your all into whatever you do, you can accomplish so much more than you could have possibly imagined. Our school has an abundance of people wanting to do something more in school, and the drill team might be the best place for them to find that opportunity.

As head captain, Aniyah hopes that the drill team will earn more titles this year. She believes that the team can continue to be a safe, fun, and disciplined environment for everyone.

Aniyah sees herself looking back on these memories fondly. She hopes to be a part of another team, like our GHS drill team, once she graduates in the fall.

If you are interested in being a part of the drill team in the future, please contact Ms. Kelly Palmer at [email protected], and follow them on Instagram: @ghsdanceallday.

Marie Galleguillos
Marie Galleguillos, Staff Writer
Marie is a junior at Glendale High School. She is very friendly and outgoing, and she is interested in a variety of subjects, including movies, music, and especially psychology. Understanding the way people think is at the top of her curiosities.