A Farewell to the Journalism Program

This is your Editor-in-Chief signing off!

When I first heard about the GHS Journalism program in 10th grade, I was hesitant to join. I’ve loved writing my whole life, but somewhere down the grapevine, I heard that it is a very demanding elective. I heard that one can only succeed there if they possess a very specific, Livingston-approved writing style. 

Well, I’m happy to say all of that information is completely FALSE. 

I took the “risk” and joined the Journalism program as a junior, and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my high school years. You are provided with several weeks to plan and write every article, and diversity across writing styles is encouraged. And Mr. Livingston is always there to guide you along.

While being a part of the Journalism staff, I have rediscovered my love for creative writing, a fire inside me that a lot of my academic classes had been extinguishing. The flexibility of the Journalism course, and the personal choice you have in what you wish to write, is extremely refreshing, especially after all the rubrics and guidelines found in your typical English classes. (Not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with them.) 

At first I was hesitant to venture outside of the articles suggested by Mr. Livingston, but as I entered my second year, I veered away from just Spotlight and Review articles, and I immersed myself into subjects like the usefulness of nap time during the school day and our school’s opinion on Santa Claus.

By the end of the year, I was spewing out article ideas left and right, thinking any interest or opinion could be turned into an article. (I actually drove my classmates nuts with this habit of mine.) I was able to grow out of needing a provided format for articles, and I began experimenting with my own writing style.

Not only is this program led by an outstanding teacher, it is also filled with the most creative and interesting people. Taking on the role of Editor-in-Chief this year allowed me to catch a glimpse of each staff member’s writing style and article preferences. This helped me to get to know our writers individually, and it also gave me an insight into the different techniques and stylistic choices that different people incorporate into their work. And this has in some way affected my own writing as well.

I believe that more people should join this amazing program. It isn’t a difficult elective, and you will find yourself having way more fun than you might have expected. Not only that, but you will find so much growth in other areas of your life as well, including editing, knowing random facts, and having better communication skills. 

Join Journalism. You won’t regret it.

Before I graduate and leave my GHS days behind, I’d like to say a huge thank you to Mr. Livingston, for making this class a reality for me, and also thank you to my fellow staff members, for being so kind and supportive of both our news website and of me.

My parting wish is that Journalism keeps growing, as more and more diverse voices join its ranks, so that our website continues to thrive and represent everyone’s interests and needs on campus.

Keep writing, Nitros!

This is your 2022-2023 Editor-in-Chief signing off!

Kristina Kugaevskaya
Kristina Kugaevskaya, Editor-in-Chief
Kristina is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the co-president of the Book Club and the Creative Writing Club, and she is the secretary of the Red Cross Club. In her spare time, she loves reading, baking, and going out into nature. In the future, she hopes to travel Europe and pursue a career in writing.