White Collar

This exciting series will hold you by the collar the whole time
White+Collar

White Collar is an American TV series directed and produced by Jeff Eastin. Starring Tim Dekay, Matt Bomer, Willie Garson, and Tiffani Thiesen, the show premiered in 2009 on the USA Network, and it carried on for six seasons before concluding in 2014.

White Collar follows Neal Caffrey (Bomer), a highly intelligent and charismatic con-artist and thief who has been imprisoned. Neal strikes a deal with FBI agent Peter Burke (Dekay), which grants him his freedom on the condition that he helps the FBI catch criminals like himself. He also has to wear a tracker ankle bracelet, which prevents him from running off. The series follows the cases that the iconic duo solve together, as well as delving into Neal’s past (and present) as a criminal. 

Though relatively few people have heard of this show, I think it must be on everyone’s must-watch list, and let me tell you why.

The characters in White Collar warm my heart and soul every time I rewatch it. It’s impossible not to mention the Peter-Neal duo, and their sarcastic comments towards one another. And yet they share an inseparable bond, especially when it comes to dangerous encounters. The unlikeliness of their friendship (I mean c’mon, an FBI agent and a criminal?!) makes it that much more fun to witness, as their mistrust of one another eventually grows into a brotherly love.

Another beloved character in the White Collar fandom is Mozzie (Garson), whom you might know as Stanford Blatch from Sex and the City. Mozzie is Neal’s best friend, and also a con artist and criminal. He is the “geek” of the show and always comes in to save the day, while also serving as a comedic relief character. He is like a bald teddy bear that every White Collar watcher wants to hug.

A final prominent character is Elizabeth Burke (Thiesen), who is Peter’s wife. She is incredibly sweet, protective of her husband, and most importantly, very understanding. Lots of times she puts more trust and faith in Neal than Peter does.

These characters, along with Neal’s occasional friends and girlfriends, and the other workers on Peter’s FBI team, make for a cast that brings the show to life, making it incredibly comical and entertaining.

Although the show has for six seasons full of episodes, it never feels dull or boring. With each new season, the viewers get to discover more about Neal’s mysterious past, all of his secrets, unfinished plans, and several romances. I actually found that last element of the show quite funny, and I kept a little notebook with all of Neal’s ex-girlfriends throughout the show. Not trying to give anything away, but the series finale will heartbreakingly shock you in the best way possible; it is by far my favorite episode of the whole series.

White Collar is also a fairly easy show to follow, and it won’t require too much of your brain power to understand the plot. Yes, media that requires us to use logic to figure out what is happening can feel rewarding, but sometimes it’s better to watch something easy, in order to unwind from our already busy and complicated lives.

Overall, White Collar is a series that will both feel like a warm hug and constantly keep you on the edge of your seat. It has comedy, suspense, and drama… everything that you could ask for in a TV show

If you are now convinced to watch it (and I sure hope I managed to convince you!), it is available not for streaming on Hulu, Prime Video, and Apple TV.

And if you’d instead like to watch something similar, I would recommend Suits (which I have also reviewed), The Mentalist, and Criminal Minds.

Kristina Kugaevskaya
Kristina Kugaevskaya, Editor-in-Chief
Kristina is a senior at Glendale High School. She is the co-president of the Book Club and the Creative Writing Club, and she is the secretary of the Red Cross Club. In her spare time, she loves reading, baking, and going out into nature. In the future, she hopes to travel Europe and pursue a career in writing.