• May 1Senior Alexis Cabral wins 2024 Lancaster Prize, for her article "A Day Without a Phone"!

Riverdale Sucks

Don’t waste your time watching Riverdale anymore
Riverdale+Sucks

The popular, long-running series Riverdale, based on the Archie comics that were first published in the 1940’s, is now in its seventh season on The CW. The show follows four teenage kids trying to solve a murder that has occurred in their town of Riverdale. Those four teens are Archie Andrews (K.J. Apa), Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart), Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), and Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse). However, this series has been a bit off these last few seasons. 

To be honest, the first three seasons of the show were pretty good, and the fourth season was okay. But these past three seasons have been just awful and boring, which isn’t something you want in a series that you are watching for fun.  

Riverdale is a drama series, and it does have a central mystery that viewers are interested in following. However, the whole plot line has become so confusing. 

It’s just sad to see that Riverdale used to be a very popular teen show to watch, but now it’s just lame and pointless. In the first four seasons, you understand what the characters and plot are all about. But please don’t get me started with these latest seasons, which are so out-of-order and random, and so much of what happens has nothing to do with the show or its overall story. 

Now a lot of viewers might say that once Season 3 came out, it was already the start of a downhill run for Riverdale. I do know where these people are coming from, but to me, it was still okay to watch the show at that point. It does eventually move away from the search for the killer into random plotlines including (SPOILER ALERT) a Gargoyle King, seizures, a cult, a Hiram drug dealer, and Archie getting attacked by a bear. Yes, and if you are wondering, this does all happen in Season 3. 

Another shocking Riverdale trend has been its musical episodes, which are just so surprising, because the show didn’t seem to have any significant music in it at all. But apparently, it does now. 

One of the episodes in Season 2 is about Carrie, another season 3 is about Heather, and the last one in Season 4 is about their school variety show. I didn’t get the logic of why the writers of Riverdale decided to have these musical episodes, because they could have instead focused more on the storyline, than on singing and dancing. 

Besides the musical parts, in Season 6 they introduced magical powers to the series, and at that point, I was in disbelief and disappointment. Just by watching it and finding out that Cheryl is a witch, I immediately paused and just turned off my TV. 

Why in a million years did Riverdale have to bring up supernatural elements? It’s a drama mystery, not The Vampire Diaries, or Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Also, when the actress Kiernan Shipka, who plays Sabrina Spellman, appears in a few of the ending episodes of Riverdale, I was like, what? Even though Sabrina is also a character who originated in Archie comics, the fact that she and Cheryl have been old friends, all this time, makes absolutely no sense. I’m sure that right now, many Riverdale fans already don’t even want to think about this twist, and I completely agree with them.

After its fourth season, Riverdale has stopped being one the best and most popular teen shows, but now it’s just a fail, to be honest. This series could have become the number-one show for teenagers, and maybe it was at one point, but somehow it isn’t anymore. 

Anyway, I am really happy that Riverdale is finally coming to an end. It is just so confusing now, because many of the new developments have nothing to do with the overall storyline. 

I am wondering why The CW didn’t cancel Riverdale after its fourth season. Or maybe how its main writer, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, hasn’t been fired or something. At first, he and the rest of the writers did an amazing job on Riverdale, but somehow they seem to have given up and have decided to do something “interesting” instead of something that makes sense. It just hasn’t turned out as well as they expected it to be. 

Hopefully, this article has convinced you to not watch Riverdale ever again! It all just sucks now, which is such a shame, because I used to really love this show. But if you are looking for something else to watch on Netflix, check out these series instead: Outer Banks, Breaking Bad, and The Crown.

Erica Hovanesian
Erica Hovanesian, Spotlight Editor
Erica is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and she is a part of the JV girls soccer team. This is her second year as a member of the journalism class, and she is hoping to continue this class through her senior year. Some of the hobbies are playing sports, such as soccer and swimming, reading, listening to music, and crocheting.