The World Will Never Forget

Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day is honored worldwide. Our wounds are still open.

In what is known as the Armenian Genocide, the Ottoman Empire began murdering and displacing more than 1.5 million Armenians, beginning on April 24, 1915. Today, many countries across the world remember this horrific event. Every Armenian around the world, no matter what country they live in, is in mourning. 

The 24th of April is a day of somber memory for Armenians everywhere. The formal memorial in the nation of Armenia lasts all day and includes a march to the Tsitsernakaberd Memorial to lay flowers at the eternal flame (where each flower represents a soul). They then hold a candlelight vigil at the Armenian Genocide Memorial Complex in Yerevan. Schools and stores are closed, and at 5:00pm, the nation takes a moment of silence to honor the victims. Religious services are held on this day all around the world in Armenian churches. 

The Armenian government is still fighting for other nations and governments to recognize the genocide. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan continues to deny that there was ever a genocide, let alone that they were responsible for this atrocity. To this day, Armenians continue to fight for Turkey to accept what they did, just so the victims of the Genocide can finally rest in peace. 

The Armenian Genocide was recognized by the US government in 2019, which meant so much for Armenians all over the world. After years of Armenians protesting, holding marches, and asking for this tragedy to be recognized, it finally happened, and now Armenians are marching to spread awareness of the situation. 

In Beirut, the capital city of Lebanon, there has always been a large number of Armenians who embrace their culture and their traditions. On April 24, many people get together and begin to march from Krikor and Mariam Church, all the way to Martyrs’ Monument. Even people along the way join in, just to support them. Huge bouquets, and even single flowers, are placed in churches to mourn the victims. 

Armenians have always had good relations with the French government, and France actually was quick to acknowledge the Genocide, as compared to other large nation. There are more Armenians in France than in most parts of Europe, which is why the French Parliament passed the bill of recognition in 2001. Armenian churches are packed on April 24 in the majority of French cities, and huge ceremonies are hosted in memory of the victims. 

Overall, the Armenian Genocide was a shameful tragedy that has had an impact on the Armenian population for more than a century. Armenians all over the world are still fighting today for remembrance and acceptance. 

Even though Turkey is continuously denying the Genocide, Armenia has already received the acceptance of many nations and is still fighting for more. There is still hope that other nations will do the same and acknowledge the horrors committed against the Armenian people. 

May all the families and victims who suffered rest in peace. They will never be forgotten.

Anahit Sargsyan, Reviews Editor
Anahit is a senior at Glendale High School, and she will be graduating this year. She loves to spend time with her family and her best friends. She also loves to chill at home and just have a relaxing time every once in a while. Music, movies and tennis are her favorite things to do, and she can't wait to see what the future holds.