Kai Milby is Playing at Full Speed!

Read all about one of this year’s lacrosse team captains
Kai Milby fights for the ball!

Born in Pasadena, Kai Milby is a senior who has attended Glendale High School all four years. His hobbies include listening to music, working out, and playing lacrosse. This is his sixth year playing lacrosse, and he is currently one of the three lacrosse team captains.

Kai first took an interest in lacrosse during middle school. “My brother started playing when he was in seventh grade, so I joined the middle school lacrosse team,” he mentioned. “I thought it was fun when I was in middle school, so I wanted to continue it.” 

After playing for the GHS team for three years, Kai became one of the captains by stepping up his game. “It’s less of getting chosen as captain, [and] it’s more of who steps up as captain or who wants to do it,” he explained.

During lacrosse practices, many of the team members help out in making sure that things are going as planned. Their coach, Joe Campbell, tells the team what to do, and then they are left alone to practice. Although practice normally goes well, Kai admitted that everything changes once they begin playing actual games. “When we play, it’s hard to lead,” he said, “since the game gets intense.”

Aside from the ongoing challenge of training for lacrosse season, there have been other challenges that the team has faced in the past. “When COVID hit, all of our seniors quit, so we had no leadership positions,” Kai revealed. “We had to fill it ourselves, but we weren’t ready.” 

Kai thinks that competing as a Nitro athlete is really fun. He knows that the team puts in a lot of effort, and that’s what makes competing so special. His favorite part of being a team member is the people involved. “The community built around our team is very strong compared to others,” he said. However, Kai feels that his least favorite part of playing lacrosse is the high expectation of being a good player

In the future, Kai wants to play lacrosse in college, but he doesn’t plan on pursuing the sport after that. He thinks that the future of the lacrosse team looks bright. 

“It teaches a lot, not just about the sport, but about life,” Kai added. “I think it’s more than a sport; it’s an experience to learn and grow as a person.” 

You can follow the GHS boys lacrosse team on Instagram: @dynamiters_boys_lacrosse. And if you are interested in being a part of the GHS lacrosse team next season, please contact Coach Campbell at [email protected].

Nicole Duarte
Nicole Duarte, Staff Writer
Nicole is a sophomore at Glendale High School. She is part of the girls junior-varsity soccer team, and she is the secretary of the Best Buddies Club. She finds inspiration from nature and the people around her.