Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

The perfect movie to end 2022

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is an animated movie by DreamWorks Animation, and you can currently stream it at home online. The film was directed by Joel Crawford, and it features the voices of Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Harvey Guillen, and Wagner Moura. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is one of the most interesting movies produced in 2022.

Puss (Banderas) is known as the legendary cat who fears nothing. There is a myth where cats have nine lives, and that is portrayed in the movie. Living up to his name, Puss has lost eight of his lives because of really stupid deaths, and he is down to his last life without even realizing it. Because of his recklessness, Death (Moura) is after his last life. 

Fearing Death, Puss set out to find the Last Wish and restore his nine lives, but he isn’t the only creature who is searching for the wish. With the help of an old friend and a new one, Puss has a battle with Death, who doesn’t necessarily have a vendetta or any hatred against Puss. But Death is after his last life, and that makes the plot more interesting.

There are a couple twists and turns throughout the movie which make it more unpredictable and more interesting for the audience. The filmmakers did an amazing job with the main villain, Death, and there are some scenes with Death that will send shivers through your body. There is a particular scene where Death whistles to let the Puss know he is there for him, and that is pretty scary. 

Compared to other animated movies, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, has a very unique art style. As time goes forward, technology has evolved and the animators have taken full advantage of that, but they also have incorporated hand-drawn techniques in their artwork. The artists clearly wanted the movie to stay relevant, and in order to do that they made the movie seem like a fairy tale. 

The characters are voiced by very well-known and popular actors. Antonio Banderas has been the voice of Puss since he first appeared in Shrek 2 in 2004, and he has made a lot of movies throughout his career that people really love. Salma Hayek, who provides the voice of Kitty Softpaws, is well-known by many people of all ages, and she is very beautiful and plays her role with great humor. Actually before this movie, Banderas and Hayek appeared together in the movie Desperado, and they work very well with one another.

While watching this movie, there was not one point where my interest was lost. Every scene has its importance regarding the plotline. There will be certain parts during the movie where you’ll shiver and get goosebumps. The animators really

did an amazing job in keeping the audience’s attention. 

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is also very popular with both fans and critics, as it has received a score of 96% at Rotten Tomatoes and a 93% audience score, which is very high. 

The music throughout the film is fine, but not amazing. The music overall is not very effective, but it doesn’t distract the audience from following the action in each scene. They could’ve done a better job with the musical choices to add more excitement and feeling to the story. 

Overall, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is definitely not a movie that should be missed. It is a very family-friendly movie and can be enjoyed by all ages. And if you like Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, then you should  also watch the original Puss in Boots and Shrek Forever After

Anahit Sargsyan
Anahit Sargsyan, Reviews Editor
Anahit is a senior at Glendale High School, and she will be graduating this year. She loves to spend time with her family and her best friends. She also loves to chill at home and just have a relaxing time every once in a while. Music, movies and tennis are her favorite things to do, and she can't wait to see what the future holds.