The Unsettling Impact of the War in Armenia

The GHS community reacts to the ongoing attacks from Azerbaijan.

People around the world, and in the city of Glendale, believed that there might not be another war for at least a while following the catastrophe that occurred two years ago–the 40-day war in 2020 between Armenia and Azerbaijan. However, on the evenings of September 12 and 13, 2022, that assumption was quickly disproved. Azerbaijan launched yet another unprovoked attack on its neighbor, by stationing military forces and conducting attacks along the borders between Armenia and itself. 

The disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, or more preferably Artsakh, has been the source of tension between Armenia and Azerbaijan since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Ethnic Armenians make up the bulk of the people in Artsakh, and yet Azerbaijan continues to argue that it is theirs. 

When the attack first happened, nearly 49 soldiers and people were killed, but the number of deaths are multiplying each day. Through drones and large-caliber weapons, the attack itself started from every side, including in the areas of Goris, Sotk and Jermuk in Nagorno-Karabakh. The situation is escalating to the point where the Azeri people are claiming on different social media platforms that Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, is theirs, which is completely absurd and not true.

The problem is getting worse, which is worrying since it makes Armenians, who are living worldwide, afraid that they won’t be able to travel there anymore and will not be able to visit their own homeland. This includes all of our fallen soldiers, whom we may not be able to bring back and will just be remembered and honored. Most of the soldiers are just teenagers who still have a life ahead of them. 

Armenia has a large number of recent graduates serving in the military, ranging in ages from 16 to 50. Our existing generation is gradually being killed by the heartless Azeri soldiers. Included in this is the large number of female soldiers who are abducted, tortured, and ultimately executed in the most heinous manner. 

Anush Apetyan was just 36 years old when she was abducted in Jermuk. While still alive, she was subjected to different types of tortures by Azerbaijani forces; they posted the video of everything on different social media platforms, laughing about it. This is a violation of international humanitarian law, and it is overall an inexplicably disgusting act. Numerous other female soldiers went through very similar situations, such as Susanna Grigoryan, Alisa Melkonyan, Irina Gasparyan, Gayane Abgaryan.

Ultimately, Azerbaijan is waging war against Armenia for territory that is not its own. Many humanitarian laws are being broken by them, yet Armenian people are being ignored. 

Armenia is a small nation, and since no one benefits from us, the rest of the world merely chooses to ignore us, allowing our people to be killed and our lands to be taken away. We need to be heard, since we have few weapons and Azerbaijan has the support of several powerful nations, including Turkey. 

We, the people, should set aside any political differences and opinions and focus on helping those who are defending us on the front lines. It is just embarrassing to see how many of us, even now, are not united as a nation and are instead engaged in pointless conflicts with one another. Politics should be set aside for a while, in favor of concentrating on the war, in which innocent civilians and soldiers are losing their lives on a daily basis.

Many people on our campus, including teachers, students, and numerous other staff members, are impacted by the ongoing attack in Armenia. Many of them have family there, including those who are actively engaged in the war and are fighting in the front lines. Given that most deaths have been teenagers, if things continue in this process, our generations will slowly just disappear from the earth. 

The same thing that happened during the war two years ago is now slowly happening to our contemporary generation. Until people throughout the world mobilize to support and aid the people of Armenia, the aggressors, Azerbaijan, will not relent.

Mr. Peter Gebeshian, Teacher

I think the whole situation is tragic, because it seems so broken and at this point it just seems sad on how you’re going to fix this situation that seems so unfixable; but you know as Armenians we want to help. Like when something tragic like this happens, we just want to do something, but we feel helpless. So you know what we can do is spread information on social media, we can do fundraisers, [and] we can sign petitions.

Rubi, Freshman

I am Armenian, and I think this situation is tragic and we are trying to speak so our voices are heard by everyone because the world is so silent about it. Even Russia, who is our ally, is ignoring us.

Mrs. Taline Arsenian, Teacher

Well, first of all, it is not a war; it is an attack. Armenians on their homeland are being attacked again by aggressors, neighbors, who should be neighborly, but instead are being very aggressive. And in my opinion, [they] are participating in criminal activity, because there was no reason to attack us. It was not instigated at all, by Armenia or any of the people of Armenia. So the Azeris are continuing to do what they did in Artsakh. They are being aggressive, they are committing war crimes and they are killing innocent victims. When I talk about Azeris, I am talking about the Azeri government, which should be accountable for what they are doing.

Dr. Crystal Caban, Teacher

My feelings right now are that you know that it has been tragic, how these things cannot get over peacefully, and that we are trying to figure out if people are going to be safe, safe in their own homes.

Mrs. Lucin Hayrikyan, Teacher

This attack on Armenia by Azerbaijan is the result of the world’s silence during and after the 44-day war in 2020. The falsifications of the historical facts of Azerbaijan and Turkey were accepted by the world. Like all Armenians, we are all glad and grateful that the United States of America [is] really ready to support Armenia and that Nancy Pelosi is visiting Armenia to discuss ways to resolve the problem. I hope that finally the Armenians are going to remember that, for 200 years our fake ally, Russia, has betrayed Armenia, and that they are going to understand who their real allies are. Peace to the world.

Mrs. Anna Shahinyan, Teacher

As every Armenian is right now, I am very very sad and upset about what is going on in Armenia, especially when the entire world is ignoring us. We do not have any support and help from any country, and this is a very sad situation, especially when we live far away from our country and want to do our best to give a hand, to support, to help our nation.

Dr. Benjamin Wolf, Principal

The hardest part for us here is that we have a lot of Armenian students. We feel really bad for them dealing with uncertainty and having family members, while the situation is happening.

Dr. Isaac Olvera, Assistant Principal

Seeing many of my Armenian students struggling, with the current war that has been taking place, has been very challenging, because we want to support all of our students and make sure that they feel safe and supported. I can only imagine the devastation that many of them are feeling, especially if they have family that are still remaining in Armenia during this very tragic time. I want my students to know that my door is always open for them, if they ever want to speak.

Mrs. Hasmik Simonyan, Assistant Principal

As an Armenian, I feel devastated, because I feel like our country was attacked by our neighbor, Azerbaijan. I feel like the attack is unlawful, and I think the international community should participate in a way that [makes] Azerbaijan know that their actions are not unnoticed.

Narek, Sophomore 

Armenia is a very old country, full of history. Literally, Coca-Cola is older than the Azeris themselves. Armenians wouldn’t have attacked Turkey [or started] a war with so many deaths, just because of land.

Suren, Freshman

I think, and know for sure, that the Azeris are lying about how Armenia attacked first; it was always the Azeris that started it. They are lying purposely, just so the world will not try to help us.

Sona, Sophomore

In my opinion, all of this is absurd. [We], Armenians…are not trying to start a war. I really hope peace comes and the war ends once and for all.

Ms. Vanessa Villegas, Teacher

It is unfortunate when there is a war, especially if it seems like it’s a senseless war [with someone] trying to take over the territory. And it obviously affects many people, like many families, and I know it affects students here. So as a teacher, I feel compassion for the students that have friends [and] family that may be affected by this war. And I just try to offer my support so they can come talk to me if needed.

Ms. Sona Postanjian, Teacher

It’s very frustrating, as a person who is Armenian-American, to look back at what is going on in our homeland right now and feel like we are so helpless. And I hope that as time goes on, we find solutions to this issue that are going to put less lives at risk.

Mrs. Gohar Khalatyan, Teacher

It’s scary. It’s horrible. I’m worried about people in the country.

Mr. Robert Macleod, Teacher

I think it’s really sad that the government’s decisions [are] having such an impact on people who are just trying to live their lives, in places that have been their home for a long time.

Ms. Nicoleta Soris-Masouris, Teacher

I think that more needs to be said about what’s going on. More people need to be aware and you just got to get the word out, [and] our population is the place to do it. And the more we can encourage people to help, and share stories, and just express how they feel about what’s going on, [the] better [it will be].

There are numerous ways to end the violence raging in Armenia’s native lands, but only a very small portion of these will actually help the war in any manner. Countless individuals, including innocent young people and kids, are losing their lives at the borders, as we go about living our lives. 

We can accomplish nothing as long as we are left alone and uncared for by everyone else. Hopefully this article will help raise awareness of the attack that exists in my country, and the effects it will leave on this current generation, including the staff and students at Glendale High School.

Ilona Serobyan
Ilona Serobyan, Staff Writer
Ilona is a sophomore at Glendale High School, and she is part of the Armenian Club. This is her second year as a member of the journalism staff, and she is proud to work on the school newspaper. She enjoys reading, sports, and art.