GUSD Lifts Mask Mandate

Superintendent announces the option to not wear a mask while indoors

The Glendale Unified School District has officially lifted the indoor mask mandate. The previous mandate required students to be wearing their masks at all times while indoors. On February 16, the Glendale Board of Education lifted its mask mandate for all outdoor activities, giving students the option to take their mask off when outdoors.

The California and Los Angeles County Departments of Public Health have announced that the indoor mask requirement for K-12 schools and child care settings will end on March 11,.” said GUSD Superintendent, Dr. Vivian Ekchian, in an email message. “Based on this updated guidance, effective March 12, masks will be strongly recommended but no longer required indoors or outdoors at any Glendale Unified school or district facility.”

Dr. Ekchian also stated, “We ask that everyone in our community respect each other’s decision to wear or not wear a mask, and we will ensure that each individual’s choice is respected equally.”

The indoor mask mandate had been established ever since the beginning of the school year, and despite these new regulations, many students at Glendale High School have still decided to wear their masks while on campus.

Melinda Khechumyan, Staff Writer
Melinda is a junior at Glendale High School. She is the ASB Director of Rallies and has been involved in her class council for three years. In her free time, she enjoys cooking, reading, and binge-watching TV shows. She also enjoys hanging out with her friends and watching sunsets.